diy solar

diy solar

Lifepower4 proper wakeup procedure?

PhotonsAreNeat

When a lifepower4 battery drains to the point that the BMS goes off, what is the proper wakeup procedure? The manual doesn't say.

This rack has 3 batteries, top battery is the one connected to the inverter's comms. When the batteries die, the top one is typically the one that seems to shut off completely.

What has worked before is to start charging the rack with the chargeverter, and typically the red alarm light will come on steady on its own. Then I hold the reset button, all lights will cycle, then the battery will rejoin the bus and start charging.

However, this didn't work last time. The lights would cycle, you'd hear a static noise from the battery, then it would alarm again. I'm assuming it's trying to rejoin the bus, but since the bus is being charged there's too much current and it drops off again. Seems to make sense. In this case, I shut off the charger, then reset again, it rejoined, then started the charger again.

However (again) this procedure above did not work today. Even with the charger off, and the other batteries did pick up a little bit of charge, this top battery would not rejoin the bus. It just lit the alarm light steady every time the BMS was reset. This time, the breaker for the battery had to be cycled, then the BMS reset again. That worked, and the charger was started up.

Anyways... Is there not an actual wakeup procedure that is proper? I'm making guesses here on what will work.

Is your battery bank getting fully charged for long enough?

It sounds like that one is out of balance if it's going into hard shutdown all the time.

Separate it from the bank and give it long good charge, leaving it charging at 100%.

Can you adjust something in your setup or usage so that your batteries aren't getting drained into protection? Can you raise the low voltage cutoff on your inverter so that it shuts off before they do?

I will be raising the SOC cutoff on the inverters (6500ex pair). This is for a buddy of mine, so I'll do it next time I'm out at his place. I haven't changed the default, but raising it 5% should be unnoticeable from a capacity standpoint, and that means he won't have to reset a sleeping battery again.

I'm also having problems where due to cold temps my offgrid wasn't able to charge for a few days and I couldn't get there. The battery which I've disconnected and brought back to the city along with the chargeverter won't start charging. I've even left it on on the chargeverter by itself limited to 5 amps for several days solid and no luck. I do think the cells are getting closer together in voltage so maybe something is happening but its taking forever and I'm not sure. I did not record the measurements the first time but the invidual pack measurments in the battery are as follows
Starting from left to right on the row closest to the bms/terminals and then left to right on the back row.

2.87, 2.91, 2.94, 2.95, 2.98, 2.81, 2.89, 2.89 <- row closest to terminals
2.95, 2.89, 2.89, 2.91, 2.85, 3.00, 2.89, 2.96 <- Back row

I'm digging out the bms test program as I have a computer here and hopefully one of the usb cables I grabbed is the right one but anything I can do to speed up equalization or reset the bms to allow minimal charging would help. If I could get it out of alarm state I'd be happy to charge the battery for several days at a limited 5 amp charging rate or something like that.

I'm also having problems where due to cold temps my offgrid wasn't able to charge for a few days and I couldn't get there. The battery which I've disconnected and brought back to the city along with the chargeverter won't start charging. I've even left it on on the chargeverter by itself limited to 5 amps for several days solid and no luck. I do think the cells are getting closer together in voltage so maybe something is happening but its taking forever and I'm not sure. I did not record the measurements the first time but the invidual pack measurments in the battery are as follows
Starting from left to right on the row closest to the bms/terminals and then left to right on the back row.

2.87, 2.91, 2.94, 2.95, 2.98, 2.81, 2.89, 2.89 <- row closest to terminals
2.95, 2.89, 2.89, 2.91, 2.85, 3.00, 2.89, 2.96 <- Back row

I'm digging out the bms test program as I have a computer here and hopefully one of the usb cables I grabbed is the right one but anything I can do to speed up equalization or reset the bms to allow minimal charging would help. If I could get it out of alarm state I'd be happy to charge the battery for several days at a limited 5 amp charging rate or something like that.
To clarify, this is the older EG4 lifepower4 battery - the one without the lcd

To clarify, this is the older EG4 lifepower4 battery - the one without the lcd
In case anyome else encounters this issue I got it charging....still not sure which of these 2 items fixed it.
1: bms agreed with multimeter and cell 10 was higher than the rest.....I used a small load from positive to negative on cell 10 and watched while the voltage dropped closer to others.. this did not allow bms to enable charging though even restricted to 4 amps

2: despite support telling me to limit the amps and leave the voltage alone...I noticed that the bms gave an over current alarm in addition to low soc everytime i turned on the chargeverter. I finally decided to ignore support and dropped the charge voltage to 52volts because the battery was down at around 47 or 48 volts.....this seemed to do the trick and the bms test indicated the battery was charging.

Back