diy solar

diy solar

Lightning

bstump

Considering getting a Ford Lightning. I am off-grid solar. I installed my solar in October and got through Oct, Nov, Dec, and Jan with help from a generator. Since Jan 31 I have not had to use the generator at all, woohoo!!!!

However, if I had an extended range Lightning (131kWh battery) it would have gotten me through with the "extra" generation that was "wasted" on the sunny days after my batteries were charged (and then some).

Thoughts on using the Lightning as an "extension" to my battery bank? It has a 220V plug in the back, so I could plug it in to my generator port. It looks, so far, like it would be used mostly in the winter months (late Nov to late Jan), but then we would likely generate enough to charge it.

A lesson that has been a part of Human Culture since automobiles came out over 100 years ago... Never Ever buy Version 1.0 of any production vehicle, it takes at least 3 production years prior to being fully debugged & sorted. This as you well know also applies to Software of any form and with EV's coming from Ford & GM, they are all several years behind on the tech (EV + Software). Unfortunately, it will be at least 2025 before any "Traditional Auto Maker" comes up with something reliable & debugged for the most part (software being the wild card). This applies to both Cars & Trucks.

Historically, Ford takes about 3 years of production to fully sort their new models. GM can take up to 5 Years to get it right (yeah I know, quite pathetic). Dodge / Stellantis has also been typically 5 years but NOW that Stellatis (European) owns MOPAR it's not know what will happen, within EU they seem to take about 3 years but they don't deal with MOPAR as they do with their EU Labels.

Also, if you intend to keep a Truck for more than 5 years (and actually using it as a truck), avoid the Unibody Design which incorporates the box & cab. Body Shops hate rust work and such a box will be a LOT of trouble when they start to rot.

Tesla HAS the lead on the EV tech & software but their assembly and QC is a bit lacking and the CyberTruck design does not lend itself to normal conventional usages either. Anyone who works with their trucks will see that side loading the box and lack of flexibility will be a problem.

before anyone freaks... I am a Licensed Bodyman and have done a lot of restoration on many brands. Additionally, I am a Tesla Shareholder with hundreds of shares, I'll own the shares and watch the company grow & improve but will NOT buy a Tesla... Their cars are of no use to me (4x4 is the only way up here) and the CyberTruck is completely useless for my use case.

I also watched Will's video, the truck had some neat features, but obviously isn't sorted out. I think the larger issue is the third party charging stations. It will be an issue for anyone wanting to go farther distances from home. Will had trouble finding functional charging stations. Almost every review I've seen on non Tesla EV's have had similar experiences. Stations are off line (which would show in the app), or had broken plugs (which would not show in the app). Wouldn't want to be pulling in with 20 miles of range left and finding you can't change at that station... Now if someone could come up with a way to charge from Tesla stations, that could change the game considerably.

They need standardized chargers, like how a gas pump will work on any brand car.

They need standardized chargers, like how a gas pump will work on any brand car.

Maybe everyone should just make theirs Teslas and pay the use fee since Tesla has the most reliable network?

The problem is when you say "they" that usually means government. And Biden/Dems hate Elon so what they would do is mandate some ridiculous GM standard. It would be the US car headlight fiasco all over again.

No idea who or how. Gas pumps got standardized but by who and how I have no idea. That's before my time!

No idea who or how. Gas pumps got standardized but by who and how I have no idea. That's before my time!
In 1930, Underwriters Laboratories (UL) published UL 842, which became the standard for fuel-dispensing nozzles. Now, 85 years later, UL 842 has been replaced by tougher contemporary guidelines: UL 2586, 2586A and 2586B. These new standards promise to improve fuel-nozzle durability and safety, but the changes have left many fuel retailers with questions.

Body Shops hate rust work and such a box will be a LOT of trouble when they start to rot.

Minor point: The F-150 body has been aluminum for a number of years. The Super Duty line has been aluminum since 2017. I've had body damage repaired on my F-350 and the shop didn't complain at all.

Thoughts on using the Lightning as an "extension" to my battery bank? It has a 220V plug in the back...
That similar to what I'm doing with my Vanabolt. But for me, without ''Pro Power Onboard'' I simply connect my 360V battery directly to the solar inverter. So, if the F-150 don't tempt you, you know that the cheaper Chevy Bolt can do the job you ask for ;)
I guess there is a little bit less lost as the my equation is 360 VDC to 24 VDC(offgrid battery) and for Ford the equation is 360VDC to AC to XX VDC (offgrid battery)

If the Lightning gets better and has reliable export ability to charge my battery bank as Will demonstrated, I would consider buying one for my business due to how versatile being able to use it as a mobile power bank would be. You could have a cabin somewhere with an inverter, plug your truck in and vacation with no onsite permanent power. More convenient than a generator.

Never Ever buy Version 1.0 of any production vehicle, it takes at least 3 production years prior to being fully debugged & sorted
Except Toyota, they get it right 99.5% of the time first go.
I just dumped my GM with the shitty 8 speed and replaced it with a Highlander with 5 times the mileage !!!

Back