diy solar

diy solar

Limit Reached :(

Abcdescott

Hi All.

I have tried to read up some other posts but cant find anything that fits. I have two questions, if thats ok ?

Start off with the easy one I hope !!

My house is grid tired, I have installed a off-grid solar setup with circuits inside the house providing power to some sockets etc.

The question is to do with Grounding/Earthing - I have an earth Rod that I was going to attach into my Consumer Unit (CU) and then from here daisy chain all of the devices in my setup to for Grounding/ Earthing. ( Solar panel Rail's, Surge Protector, Battery, Inverter & CU.

Is this the correct thing to do as because this is a separate system to the grid there is no tie there so Im guessing I need to install my own ?

2nd Question and I think this will be. a bit more difficult. I have a Growatt SPF5000 ES (1 MPPT input) Max PV DC input is 450VDC, 6000w I currently have 6 430W panel's with a VOC of 43.5V.

My Question is, I want enough panels to take it up to the or close to the 6000w limit, (two strings of 7 panels in series/Parallel) The problem I have is that I am only going to be able to have 9 on the same orientation then another 3 in one direction and another 4 in another. Is this possible to do, or will it just degrade the system ?

Plan currently is to buy the additional 3 that will be along the same orientation Then in the future add the additional 5 but I need to know if I will need to buy additional equipment like separate MPPT's etc
What do you think will be the best way to split my 3 different orientation panel arrays into the PV Combiner (2 way) and then into my one MPPT Tracker ? Can it be done without hindering the system ? Or should I get another MPPT charge controller and link this to my battery as well as the inverter ?

Just looked into the Inverter specs again and looks like I have a 2nd hurdle :/ Max PV Isc is 22A ... My 430W panels are 12.68A So if I had 2 strings of these I would be over the 22A .... :( Thoughts, as I know people advise to over panel the system but at what point does it become dangerous fort he equipment ?

Last edited:
Back