diy solar

diy solar

Limited to 100 amp service from utility - options for more PV?

Hello, all ...

My home has 100 amp service from PG&E and I have a small 3kw PV array that came with the home that I would like to expand to 6-7kw. In a previous home, I just had the main panel upgraded and all was well, but with this home, the electrical service from the utility is underground. From what I've read, this could make a main panel upgrade far more expensive due to the digging involved.

Yet, 3kw is nowhere near enough to cover my needs. What options are there to expand the PV given the limitations of my 100 amp service? The inverter I'm planning to use is the Sol-Ark 5k, and I'm leaning toward the Fortress Power eFlex batteries. I also want the capability to run off-grid for extended periods if required (due to a bad experience in my last home that required us to be disconnected from PG&E for 3 months, where we lived off just solar and battery).

Regards,

John
Go off grid. No worries. Expand to your hearts content.

No, but I found out that the panel was actually rated for 125a, even with my 100a service. So, I was able to put a 30a breaker in there to handle the additional 3kw of PV that will be going up there soon. The permit hasn't been approved yet, but the designer tells me that it should be.
Hi jmzorko, I am wondering how you found out that the panel is rated for 125A? I also would like to know if my panel is rated for 100A or 125A. Unfortunately I do not have the sticker that provides this information.

Thanks,

The sticker was still visible on my main panel (Challenger SMB12), and it indicated 125 amps max.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 5.00.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 5.00.10 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
I also would like to know if my panel is rated for 100A or 125A. Unfortunately I do not have the sticker that provides this information.
Are there any model numbers stamped on the case? The main breaker should have a number. The operative issue is also the bus bar rating. Sometimes a panel will have a 100 Amp breaker and a 125 Amp bus bar.
There are also some workarounds using sub panels if you are trying to add more solar capacity. Those may have been discussed throughout this thread but I did not give it a thorough read.
What are you trying to accomplish? More solar or just more circuits?

Back