diy solar

diy solar

Line side tap that feeds main panel

Fahmula

PAGE 47.jpg
Is it possible to power the main panel from the output of the Sol Ark? I added the black lines and also the main breaker off comment.

Not as you have it drawn, not legally anyway (assuming I'm interpreting the drawing correctly, I can't make most of it out). There would need to be a lock-out (e.g., an interlock or other device) such that it would be impossible to connect the sol-arc without first disconnecting the mains. After that you'd need to flip most circuits off, most main panels are setup to handle 200 amps, the 12k inverter will only provide a max of 50 amps. If you do want to go that way, I'd eliminate the critical load panel since there'd be no need for it.

If what you really want to know is what you have in the title "Line side tap that feeds main panel", you can do that if you have an ATS between the tap and the meter (although its not clear to me what the drawing has next to the meter or why there'd by a critical panel in that configuration, so probably not understanding your setup).

Last edited:
Not as you have it drawn, not legally anyway (assuming I'm interpreting the drawing correctly, a bit fuzzy and overly complicated for the question). There would need to be a lock-out (e.g., an interlock) such that it would be impossible to activate the sol-arc without deactivating the mains. After that you'd need to flip most circuits off, most main panels are setup to handle 200 amps, the 12k inverter will only provide a max of 50 amps.
That drawing came from the SOL ARK manual. I just added the black lines to show what I'd like to do. Just imagine the critical loads panel isn't there and the output of the inverter goes back to the main panel on a 50 amp breaker. The main would have a lockout so that it can't be switched on at all. 8kw of inverter is more than my house needs. This setup is for a rental/vacation property in Jamaica.

That drawing came from the SOL ARK manual. I just added the black lines to show what I'd like to do. Just imagine the critical loads panel isn't there and the output of the inverter goes back to the main panel on a 50 amp breaker. The main would have a lockout so that it can't be switched on at all. 8kw of inverter is more than my house needs. This setup is for a rental/vacation property in Jamaica.
Okay, so the "goal" is to eliminate the critical circuits and have everything off the Sol-Arc?

Confirm with Sol-Arc, but I think this would work for you if the whole house never pulls more that 50 amps. The Sol-Arc probably has a 50 amp input breaker, but I included an external one inbetween the meter and the inverter in case your local codes require it. Even if code doesn't require it, I'd put some sort of disconnect there just to make working on the Sol-Ark safer.

1616171136875.png

Okay, so the "goal" is to eliminate the critical circuits and have everything off the Sol-Arc?

Confirm with Sol-Arc, but I think this would work for you if the whole house never pulls more that 50 amps. The Sol-Arc probably has a 50 amp input breaker, but I included an external one inbetween the meter and the inverter in case your local codes require it. Even if code doesn't require it, I'd put some sort of disconnect there just to make working on the Sol-Ark safer.

View attachment 41674
Yes that exactly the goal I had in mine. The local code there isn't as strict as in the US. The SOL ARK does has a 50 amp circuit breaker and I would still use an external one for addition safety.

The SOL ARK also have a grid bypass mode which it switches over to the grid if the inverter gets overloaded.

Back