diy solar

diy solar

Supply side tap

For a backfed generator breaker, you definitely want to install interlock. Otherwise you risk blowing up generator/inverter or electrocuting lineman.

You could use a plug-in cord from inverter, swap to generator if desired. But probably 30A, 24A continuous.
I bought a QO generator panel, 8 slot, had 100A and 30A breakers interlocked and plug recessed in bottom.
I changed breakers to 70A and 70A, and hard wired to inverter. I replaced plug with socket and installed 30A GFCI breaker.

If you hardwire inverter, maybe cascade another box with interlock for generator either before or after inverter.
You can sometimes find Square-D DPDT transfer switches on eBay.
You're going to need disconnect and OCP on input of inverter, so that could be the place to put an interlocked breaker panel.
If generator feeds into inverter, you would want a way to prevent "net metering" backfeed. My inverter has digital input to distinguish grid from generator, how about yours? (I could use 3-pole switch or handle position microswitch for that purpose.)
Consider 120% rule when selecting a box to go before inverter. Or, does that not apply when no other loads, just in and out from that breaker panel (is "Hawaiian Tie-In" a recognized thing?)

Net metering trued-up every month means you can't save power for winter. But at least it isn't 15 minute or 15 second intervals.

Maybe you're supposed to have electrical disconnect and RSD. We usually put it within 10' of meter. In the case of battery backup, that keeps running and PV remains active when grid goes away. I plan to install handle position microswitch in safety switch, so single handle does everything. Just throwing that switch would signal battery inverter to shut down (or at least disconnect house from its output.) Not sure how you comply with long distance to meter, maybe in that case you're allowed to hang a sign saying where shutdown is located.

Thanks for the link to the updated manual. I can't believe I've been using an old one. What is MID? What is CPL output?
Microgrid Interconnection Device. It’s an Enphase term. There are a handful of people trying to make it a more general term.

CLP = critical loads panel.

lly does. I was hoping the inverter would have the ability to zero out without needing CT's.
To have a hope of doing that the inverter needs to be between the grid and all loads you want to zero. Since this is the only way to use internal CTs to measure.

If there is a MID in a SLD then there might be wireless or wired connection to provide CT feedback from CTs internal to a SLD

The problem is I couldn't find a hybrid that uses 48V batteries that was not 3 times the price of the Growatt ($1500).

Probably 1-2 year out from that being available

Back