diy solar

diy solar

Lishen Alu Terminals Oxidation, what to use to improve conductivity between terminal and tinned Cooper busbar?

captainrivet

Hi all,
Top balanced my 12 Lishen 272AH cells and put them into their 3p4S setup (so a 816AH 12V bank) in its compression jig.
For final assembly:
As aluminum oxides nearly immediately and creates a high resistant oxide layer, what can I put on the Alu terminal to prevent from oxidation and improves electrical conductivity between Alu terminal and tinned Cooper busbar
What I know:
1) sand Alu terminal with 1200 grid or scotchbrid black and
2) then clean with 99% alcohol
3) but what product exactly (maybe link please, delivery in Europe) to put now between Alu pole and tinned Cooper busbar to prevent from oxidation and improve electrical conductivity?
4) Sand the tinned busbar with 1200 grid too? I was recommended/heard not to as oxide is soft and high electrical conductivity . just clean with 99% Alcohol.
5) after final assembly put battery pol grease over busbar/pole/nut combo.
Will be marine use in a catamaran so salty air around. Battery box/compression jig will be a sealed box with overpressure vents.

Will use tinned Cooper busbars in 20mm x 10mm to connect cells and with 4xT class 200A fuses directly connected on the busbar an then directly with 50cm 8x70sqmm cable to 2x3kw Victron Multis in parallel. All massive and as short as possible as I will occasionally pull 500A for 5-15min when the lady cooks via induction stove and run the convection oven in parallel. So all should be properly connected and as low resistance as possible. Normally it’s more around 250A but situations with 500A max will happen.
Thank you. Please no discussion to go to 24V, I have my reasons to stay 12V and speced everything for 600A continuous minimum.
Christian

You could try this

I use NO-OX-ID and have no experience with any other product so I can't say one way or the other. If I were to try something else it would be the MG Chemical 847.

My only advice is to use the product sparingly. You can get too much on the surface. Surfaces that are not conducting electricity do not need to any product applied to them. You can, but it's going to attract dust and dirt.

When everything is working properly measure the voltage drop across several connections while passing a substantial current.

These DC millivolt readings can then be used to calculate when connections are tending towards trouble.

When everything is working properly measure the voltage drop across several connections while passing a substantial current.

These DC millivolt readings can then be used to calculate when connections are tending towards trouble.
That’s what I will do anyhow. But I will prevent troubles from the beginning and when pulling 500A that Alu to cooper connection is a problem area that needs attention.

Back