diy solar

diy solar

Lithim-ion BMS for 40S batterys

nyandy

hi! I want to build a battery bank for an electric motorcycle running at 144-150v and I want to build from this type of battery SPIM08HP 3.7V 16AH Lithium Ion in a 40S 4P configuration, I would need some help on where to find a BMS for Lithium Ion that can handle charging and discharging a series of 40 batteries at 150v up to 100 amps. Is there a BMS that can manage 40 series or do I need more BMS-s connected together in series?

Lithium Ion in a 40S 4P configuration,
Do you mean 4P40S? That is a better choice for a motorcycle or EV because you would need only one BMS and automotive BMSs are more expensive. My guess is the discharge could be higher if you push it and that tupe of BMS uses a contactor to handle the greater current
..... do I need more BMS-s connected together in series?
BMS in series is not a good idea.

Unless it's an orion designed to do so for silly high cell count
The Orion must internally be boards which are connected in series based on the wiring scheme where some leads are connected or paired. However internally those boards must communicate in a way that we observe it as one large (silly) cell count BMS.

Do you mean 4P40S? That is a better choice for a motorcycle or EV because you would need only one BMS and automotive BMSs are more expensive. My guess is the discharge could be higher if you push it and that tupe of BMS uses a contactor to handle the greater current

BMS in series is not a good idea.
thanks for the reply, I'm just not very familiar with batteries, I think the construction is as you suggested - 4P40S, and where can I find a BMS for 40 batteries connected in series? I would like to be able to put 4 or 5 in parallel to get somewhere over 60 amps at 144v , I don't know what makes the difference between 4P40S or 40S4P ... I need for an electric Vetrix type motorcycle...

where can I find a BMS for 40 batteries connected in series?
Go to the Orion website and find the link for dealers here.
....... I don't know what makes the difference between 4P40S or 40S4P ...
4P40S is four groups of cells in parallel and then forty of those groups in series. 40S4P is four separae packs of forty cells. The latter would need four BMSs.
Do you know how much capacity you want? I know you have picked a cell, however it might be possible to find a single cell that has the capacity you need and save you a lot of parallel connections which might be cumbersome in a small space.

Back