diy solar

diy solar

Lithium ion compatibility

They don't have to have a list. They don't have a list of what outlets you can use either, they just say they have to be certified by an approved tester, which is usually UL.

They might have a list, but they don't have to.
The inspector is using something to determine whether or not the equipment is allowed. Ask them for whatever that is. You understand this and I understand this, but the OP does not.

Do you have a screen of the nec 2020 where this new regulation is written down ?
I'm getting this from elsewhere:

In the 2020 NEC it states "706.5 Listing. Energy storage systems shall be listed." That tells me that the system must be listed, but does not specifically call out UL9540. It only calls out UL9540 under 706 "Informational Note No. 3: The following standards are frequently referenced for the installation of energy storage systems:"

So again, the little dictator in the AHJ or the inspector get to decide how strictly they "interpret" this.

The inspector is using something to determine whether or not the equipment is allowed. Ask them for whatever that is.
They might just be using their power to demand that you show them the 9540 and determining whether the equipment is allowed or not based on whether you can do that or not.

How would you formulate your question then ? Other than « is this battery compatible per state inspector concern with this inverter and cc ? «
If that's exactly what you asked. I don't know if they could answer the question.
This would require checking with your exact AHJ.
Don't take me for defending this system or inspectors. But in their logic you should have asked the manufacturer whether the inverter is 9540 certified with the battery. This is all if your AHJ is on NEC 2020.
This 👆 is what you needed to know.

They might just be using their power to demand that you show them the 9540 and determining whether the equipment is allowed or not based on whether you can do that or not.
If it’s a power trip it’s pretty pathetic … but anyway .
I did show them the 9540 and 9540 a of all components in my system .
He s the one actually that did tell me before « just make sure the battery is ul certified and that your inverter and cc are compatible with lithium ion batteries «
Exactly per word what I have ….

He s the one actually that did tell me before « just make sure the battery is ul certified and that your inverter and cc are compatible with lithium ion batteries «
Exactly per word what I have ….
I don't think you have a 9540. You have a 9540A for the battery.

I would be forthcoming and explain what you were told, and that you have 9540A and the compatibility document, but you cannot get 9540.

Find out if UL Recognized AGM is acceptable.
If so, pick up enough to get through AHJ approvals. Could be old half dead, so long as it can be brought up to reasonable voltage on a charger.

Exactly per
I don't think you have a 9540. You have a 9540A for the battery.

I would be forthcoming and explain what you were told, and that you have 9540A and the compatibility document, but you cannot get 9540.
Here it is 1708454400816.png

Shame one might have to go through such ways … especially on a system that works perfectly so far .
I would try for pity first. Tell the inspector these do not have the new 9540 system certification and will have to buy new batteries if they insist on that.

They do see the attached docs that I sent
So if it is waiting on you now ask them somehow "so do I need to go buy lead acid batteries instead". When it's clear they are forcing you to abandon your plan they might back off then and give you the pass.

Sometimes they just want to know that you know that they have the power.

Shame one might have to go through such ways … especially on a system that works perfectly so far .

Consider it a tax, an unexpected cost.
Your system can go back to working perfectly after his tail lights are out of view.

Similar to removing cold air intake and reinstalling OEM air box just for smog check.

Either get junk batteries cheap, or something you can use elsewhere. Simple UPS? Automotive starting?

"All NorthStar batteries are compliant with Battery Council International standards, UL approved and UN2800 certified. NorthStar is registered to ISO 9001 and ISO 14001."

(But I didn't know batteries were UL approved, thought only recognized)

I have UL Recognized SunXtender batteries in my system, also FullRiver in another.

Thanks for your answer .
This is what I made sure of before .
I asked both manufacturers , Outback and big battery about their compatibility of their specific combination together :
And they both said it is .
What more could I have done ? And can the inspector be above any listing compatibility ?
Unfortunately, that Outback literature doesn't mention UL 9540 compliance. If a product is UL listed, it will say so on the data sheet and certainly on the product itself.

Back