diy solar

diy solar

Lithium iron phosphate battery safety (LFP)

One big problem is when fires go unnoticed. Even a small fire is really dangerous.
Another problem is thermal runaway. I don't think the homeowner can put that out.
I don't even know if the fire department can put that out.

how are you heating it?
My powerhouse/pumphouse is NOT a normal build by any means.
Frost protected slab foundation with radiant pex in it (future planning).
Thermally broken walls with solid foam insulation, same with the roof.

Heating at present is managed using a small RV Furnace (12V, with ignitor) using Propane... Only take 3 20# tanks f=pretyty much from December to April. That furnace came out a new wrecked RV and is a direct vent model.

I originally started with Big Lead Acid and that had to be vented for obvious reasons.... No issues with LFP and no worries about it either. BUT then again, all my cells (45kWh worth) are upright ad installed properly.

I do have mounted a fire extinguisher, smoke detector, C0 detector and fire suppressing blanket next my indoor LiFePO4 banks. Pretty well satisfies me for safety. I would never do that with lead acid batteries though. Those I would want a separate vented outdoor setup.
Best practice is to move the fire fighting stuff away from the stuff that burns. E.g.: the stove or batteries.

But you probably already do that.

wish I could move it all outside of my house. i'm in Michigan, so 1/3 of the year is near/below freezing.

I opted to use a small heating pad, runs about 60w at max setting. It is sandwiched between the 6 100ah batteries in an insulated box where they stay about 15-17c. It's on a $9 programmable timer. The colder it gets, the more tabs I push in to increase the time on. To me, it's a small price to pay to keep them warm while alleviating a fire hazard in my house.

I have a friend that burned his house down charging his cordless drill lithium battery. That’s one reason I bought the EG4 powerpro so I could get it away from the house.

Those are NCM/NCA chemistries NOT LFP !
Apples to Water Mellons... Chicken Littleism makes one look ....
Chicken Littleism, I am not trying to stroke fear in people, It just my opinion on the matter. And if my house had a mortgage I would probably put them in my house. But the only one I trust in my house is my rolls surrette batteries.

MANY years ago I started with Lead, had a big bank of Rolls Surettes and they offgassed like hell during equalization, never put that BOMB in my house. Would not have been allowed by inspectors nor insurance co either. That would have been a quick "claim denied" if anything happened.
Lead Acid compared to LFP - Turnips to Apples...

Back