diy solar

diy solar

Long run (1400ft) Fiber Optic Cable vs Starlink Internet?

I'd vote for fiber in conduit as well. Our island distributes internet over PMP links of up to a mile, and I've got a dedicated 5-mile PTP link to the main island as my primary feed, and it's up most(?) of the time. But you gotta have LOS. IMHO, no trees.

Direct Burial Fiber doesn't mean what you think it means, yes you can bury it, but yes you can rent the ditch-witch again when (not if) it's time to replace it.

Install pull boxes at reasonable intervals, do it piece-wise, and leave a loop or two in each box for margin. Preterminated fiber is easy with factory pulling eyes installed (pulling lugs on both ends means you can start in the middle and pull both ways).

You'll either need to have the cable company hand you off with fiber (see if they'll quote on FTTH, sometimes they'll do it for free and it comes out of a different budget, or they might pull their fiber if you build the conduit to their specs, or something) or you'll need a little power at the road to drive the fiber converter.

While the cable company and Starlink can both change the deal on you, the cable company has to get permission from the PUC, where Elon just has to wake up grumpy to charge you 10X starting tomorrow.

HDPE is pretty good tbh I wouldn't go with thin wall because of the dirt but it shouldn't get taken out by the critters.

As sparky said get some light strong string tie a plastic bag on the end and use a good shop vac on the other end 1400 ft is pretty excessive never tried it at those lengths but it should work.
I would need to find a vacuum that had enough HP to do the job. But I think anything is possible when you put your head to it!

They used a vibratory plow here, about 20 inches deep.

Having said that, fiber is run to shop and house is ptp wireless from shop. Too far away for CAT5.
Who did? I'm sorry, too many posts I've lost track of what you're referring to lol

Fiber is faster than wireless. Fiber / Ethernet adapters are pretty cheap. Fiber: zero concern someone can hack your signal. Fiber runs Can go 20 miles, 1400 ft is nothing. The orange corrugated rolls of tubing is how fiber is installed commercially. If reliability and security is important, fiber. You will need to rent a trencher, 1400’ is a LONG trench. You might look at used Motorola Canopy equipment on eBay. It was early Wireless Internet Service Provider (WISP) equipment that is a bit outdated and slow, but cheap.

You can't do a 1400 foot run in a single pull.

The shop vac works ok but you can actually use a blower if needed and push the mouse through.

Yeah though. Wouldn't try 1400 feet.

Any cleaver way to run a single 1500 ft fiber optic cable through conduit without any damage?? My head is killing me thinking how to do this...I might just get some homing pigeons instead....UGH

Also, thank you for the input! I appreciate all the advice:giggle:
1719418694710.jpeg

At 1400 feet, you're digging primary, not secondary power.

The utility will REQUIRE that you run conduit for fiber with the conduit you're going to install for them run their power in.
Meh...not necessairly. I work for an ISP and we direct bury fiber all the time. Completely depends on the circumstances. For a little 6 fiber like this it should be just fine being direct buried. The plowcon does not really offer any additional protection from fiber's main nemisis...the homeowner with a rented mini-excavator. It simply makes it easy to repair the conduit after it is cut and pull a new piece of cable through it. This way the splice remains in a vault. The easier and faster option is to dig back on the direct buried cable on both sides of the cut for some slack to work with and do 2 seperate splices then bury those splices. I would not do this for a main line or transport cable, but I would and have done it for someone's drop fiber going to their house.

Reactions: Zwy
Meh...not necessairly. I work for an ISP and we direct bury fiber all the time. Completely depends on the circumstances. For a little 6 fiber like this it should be just fine being direct buried. The plowcon does not really offer any additional protection from fiber's main nemisis...the homeowner with a rented mini-excavator. It simply makes it easy to repair the conduit after it is cut and pull a new piece of cable through it. This way the splice remains in a vault. The easier and faster option is to dig back on the direct buried cable on both sides of the cut for some slack to work with and do 2 seperate splices then bury those splices. I would not do this for a main line or transport cable, but I would and have done it for someone's drop fiber going to their house.

I misread the OP's original post. I thought he was going to run power 1400 to his house in which case a transformer would have to be set closer in which case most utilities require you to run conduit for fiber if you're doing new service.

Of course I guess I shouldn't make that claim because it's probably not true throughout the country but just my personal experience here in my own state.

diy solar

diy solar
Back