diy solar

diy solar

Looking for a budget inverter for level 1 charging my EV

AlpineJoe

Solar Enthusiast
Encouraged with my 24V DIY setup and its daily production, it looks like I can level 1 charge my 2019 VW eGolf and replace at least my local distance driving (8 miles/day, or 2 KWh/day need). Level1 would be ~2 hours of continuous charging. Anyone have experience level 1 charging their EV with one of the Giandel or other budget inverters?

Things got a little easier, ends up I can set my car to charge at 5A rate, and that works on level 1 charging too. I confirmed using my wattmeter and measured 550W draw. It will take a lot longer to charge but 10 hours is 5 KWh or 20+ miles and I use 8/day. Plus I only have ~ 10KWH of battery.

So a 1-2K inverter will do. It would be nice to not have one with a screaming fan running for 10 hours though.

I built a wind tunnel for a 2000w inverter with constant airflow to keep it cool and quiet through summer with moderate loads.

I EV charge from a 48v/6kw inverter up to 3.4kw. The fan whirrs, but so does my workshop fan which cools me ?

Things got a little easier, ends up I can set my car to charge at 5A rate, and that works on level 1 charging too. I confirmed using my wattmeter and measured 550W draw. It will take a lot longer to charge but 10 hours is 5 KWh or 20+ miles and I use 8/day. Plus I only have ~ 10KWH of battery.

So a 1-2K inverter will do. It would be nice to not have one with a screaming fan running for 10 hours though.

Is your 24V battery 100Ah or 200Ah? I am also thinking of building a 24V system with the intent of using it to charge our EV.
I would like to know more about your build if you don't mind.

thanks

Is your 24V battery 100Ah or 200Ah? I am also thinking of building a 24V system with the intent of using it to charge our EV.
I would like to know more about your build if you don't mind.

thanks
On paper it is 480AH. Actual is probably 360AH

I am revisiting charging my EV at 5A max at 120V. I'm charging for 9 hours, that's 5.4KW or 21.6 miles of range and I'm only adding ~ 15 miles of range. I'm guessing that a lot of what I'm putting in is being absorbed by self consumption of the charging inverter in the car.

The other limits I can set my car to is 10A or 13A at 120V. I tried to run the Victron 24/1200VA with my car set to 10A max, and it only charged for maybe 1-2 mins before the Victron turned off with the red LED on solid and the green LED blinking. So the Victron isn't capable of 1200W continuously, not that the specs say it should anyways.

Looking at the Victron offerings, I see a 24V 3000W inverter for $1280, or a Multiplus 24V 3000W 120V for $1100, but now I can buy other 'name brand' inverters in the 3000W range for that price.

I'd like to get a low frequency inverter, preferably one that can loaf at 1200-1600W and not have a screaming fan running for now 5-6 hours of charging.

Thoughts?

I recommend you oversize your inverter. You should charge at 12A and that means an inverter of 3000VA is required. Not all inverters can charge EVs. Beside, if you go with Victron, one day, you can scale up to @240v with second one or even 3 more as you need.

I am revisiting charging my EV at 5A max at 120V. I'm charging for 9 hours, that's 5.4KW or 21.6 miles of range and I'm only adding ~ 15 miles of range. I'm guessing that a lot of what I'm putting in is being absorbed by self consumption of the charging inverter in the car.
4 miles per kWh is on the high side. Most EV's are in the 3 miles per kWh (15 mile range for 5.4kW) under normal driving conditions.

I recommend you oversize your inverter. You should charge at 12A and that means an inverter of 3000VA is required. Not all inverters can charge EVs. Beside, if you go with Victron, one day, you can scale up to @240v with second one or even 3 more as you need.
Thanks for the input. I agree with the 3000VA rating. The 'loafing' at 1200-1600W I was referring to was about fan speed and noise. I see compact sized inverters use small, high rpm fans.

I priced Samlex and they're more than the Multiplus in price. AIMS is less expensive but not that much less.

For $950 you can get a 4000W 240v split phase Sungold LF inverter. Kinda no frills, not name brand, but similar (same?) thing as an AIMS inside.

Just a thought.

I have never used it.

While not yet charging an EV, I have been running Growatt 5000 ES units. They put out a solid 240volts, as is. I have (2) units paralleled. These run my 240 loads without issue. Welder(s), Large Air Compressor, etc.
Hopefully charging an EV later in the year.

Level 2 chargers (240v) are supposed to be 85% efficient at the low end.
Level 1 chargers (120v) top out at 85% efficient.

Might want to consider getting a 240v inverter and Level 2 charger.

My daytime solar production tops out at ~2.5KW rate, but I need some of that to put back into my batteries. Max 120V charging (13A) would fit into my current production rate nicely.

I also don’t have enough battery to support much of a level 2 rate - in fact I do need to add more capacity for even level 1 rate for weekdays when I can’t charge during the day (at work)

I keep waiting for the LFP prices to drop like what was forecasted, but I’m still waiting. Looking for 24V 200ah packs

Here is a snapshot of daily charging from my setup. If it's daylight outside, batteries constantly topped off. I'm sure an EV as an added load will put some burden on this, hence ADDing additional battery banks as well. (2) Banks so far.

CHARGING.jpg

I also don’t have enough battery to support much of a level 2 rate - in fact I do need to add more capacity for even level 1 rate for weekdays when I can’t charge during the day (at work)
It is probably the higher voltage that increases charge efficiency. Run a Level 2 charger at the same kW as the Level 1 charger, and you get more power into the battery. Don't know if it offsets the cost of adding a L2 charger. You also get the faster charge for the when you are willing to charge from the Grid.

Back