diy solar

diy solar

Looking for a dual line NEMA 5-15R

krby

Solar Enthusiast
I would like the output of my inverter to be two NEMA 5-15 outlets. Each on its own branch and each branch with its own breaker. This is all going in a portable box, so I'm going to cut out the wall of the box and panel mount the outlets. What I would really like is for this look:
1576806230811.png

But instead of a single line feeding it, I would have two. Has anyone seen a product like that? If not, I guess I'll wire up two separate panel mount single outlets, but I haven't seen any of those that have an RCD built it.

Standard duplex receptacles have tabs that connect the two receptacles together. Just use a pair of pliers to break off the tabs and you have two receptacles on one yoke that can be wired to separate circuits.

That is not the case for GFI receptacles like you show.

What is "an RCD"?

I would like the output of my inverter to be two NEMA 5-15 outlets. Each on its own branch and each branch with its own breaker. This is all going in a portable box, so I'm going to cut out the wall of the box and panel mount the outlets. What I would really like is for this look:
View attachment 3688

But instead of a single line feeding it, I would have two. Has anyone seen a product like that? If not, I guess I'll wire up two separate panel mount single outlets, but I haven't seen any of those that have an RCD built it.
Not sure you're going to find that. Typically there's a line and load terminal on the GFCIs so you can protect downstream outlets. I'll help dig around because I'd be interested in that as well for a portable project.

What you want, the term is called "Temporary Power Distribution".

It has 240V input, a common 30amp Generator/RV plug inlet
If you want to send that inlet. with two different 120V sources, that's just a matter of wiring the plug to it.

2 120V circuits, each on their own circuit breakers.
Each circuit also has a GFCI.
8 total outlets.

OR

The box has about $125 worth of parts (at retail) just in the box.

I have two of the Mini-X-Treme boxes, I only use one though.

Attachments

• IMG_20200111_141819260.jpg
    IMG_20200111_141819260.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 2
View attachment 3688

I purchased an outdoor box with two separate duplex outlets. Let me see if I can find the link.

How about this? edited, oh you need breakers.

That's a neat device!
But it's not what I want. What I wanted was a standard duplex 120V 15amp socket that had two independent GFCI devices. What I ended up doing is getting a regular duplex NEMA 5-15 outlet and then two inline GFCI devices. I'll break the bridging tab on the outlet, wiring each to its own GFCI and circuit breaker.

That's a neat device!
But it's not what I want. What I wanted was a standard duplex 120V 15amp socket that had two independent GFCI devices. What I ended up doing is getting a regular duplex NEMA 5-15 outlet and then two inline GFCI devices. I'll break the bridging tab on the outlet, wiring each to its own GFCI and circuit breaker.
Sorry, I jumped to what I knew....have. I have one of these out on the power poll at my ground mounted solar site....radio, power tools, lights, etc. 20 amp breaker on each of the duplex outlets.

Back