diy solar

diy solar

Looking for a specific charger for ability to grow down the road

diamondjoechubbs

I just recently started living in my RV full time, and I want to update the electrical system and eventually add solar, but since I am living in it I have to do it a piece at a time without having too much affect on the overall operations of the system. Currently I am working off an old lead acid battery that is barely hanging on and I would like to upgrade to LiFePO4 batteries, but I am not sure the inverter/charger that is currently installed can handle it. Eventually the inverter/charger will be replaced, but for now, I am looking for a LiFePO4 compatible charger that can basically patch into the system and keep the batteries separate from the existing inverter/charger and also has the abilities to bring in about 1000 W of solar on board down the road. My initial thoughts are https://richsolar.com/products/60-amp-mppt-solar-charge-controller and be limited to 800W of solar, which honestly would probably be enough for what I need. My questions are:
1) is putting this on the DC distribution system I already have going to cause any problems with the inverter/charger
2) are there any better products out there that should be considered instead
3) are there any considerations or issues I should be aware of before attempting this
4) should I consider another alternate solution in the interim?

Back