diy solar

diy solar

looking for opinions

wrench 87

I wanted to see opinions on running one growatt 12kw vs running 2 mpp lv6548 inverters?.
I originally wanted to purchase the growatt but the weight of the unit put me off,
I wanted to use either unit as a ups and to charge batterys with grid until I set up ground mount solar panels.

There's a reason some inverters weigh more than others.

The heavy inverters have a large transformer giving a meaningful surge current. The growatt will be able to support loads notably larger than the 12kW rating for several seconds - very useful for starting things like well pumps, A/C compressors, etc.

The MPP will be able to have loads somewhat larger than 12kW for milliseconds.

I agree that mounting, weight/handling of physical units is a serious consideration. Especially with overall functionality being similar between 1 GroWatt vs 2 parallel MPP Solars.

My AIMS 12,000w inverters are 174lbs each and had to use a high-advantage pully system to get it in place. Fortunately these are OK to run 'flat' as I'd never have gotten this vertical on a wall :)
1658098455233.png

Once it is mounted it wont matter,I was looking for pros and cons of the two units.
I have a 3bed ranch,oil fired boiler with one zone of base board,electric stove , electric dryer, normal stuff computers modems tv's ,led lights. would like to add mini split or two, dehumidifier ,possible ev charger in future.
My lasts month electric bill was only 163kw

If you don't have high surge items, the LVs are fine. Here in Phoenix, our usage for the last two days is more thank your last month...

You should be aware the the IDLE consumption of those two units will total about 115kWh per month alone. That on top of what you actually use.

I am located in south eastern Massachusetts, I like the idea of the growatt one unit not a lot of cables
Limited on solar, and most likely high idle consumption would it last longer having a transformer?
The mpp lv 6548's have slightly higher output and can take more solar. would 6kw of solar and the growatt be all i need in addition to a large battery bank. or would 2 6548's be better for future expansion.

I just got the growatt 6kw all in one. It made sense for my needs.
Growatt battery from sig solar can be stacked on top of one another instead of in a server rack which I thought was simple and cool

diy solar

diy solar
Back