diy solar

diy solar

Noob Installation Question (UK): Growatt SPF 5000 ES AC input 50a circuit breaker

Would be good if it is 2 core, 6mm2 (= greater capacity for future use). Are you deducing that by cable colour? There may be more cores than we can see in the picture, just cut off before the gland exit point?

Would be good if it is 2 core, 6mm2 (= greater capacity for future use). Are you deducing that by cable colour? There may be more cores than we can see in the picture, just cut off before the gland exit point?
I'm deducing it purely off the fact if there was a 3rd core a jobs body would have used it as an earth.

6mm is rated at 49amp just 1 short of the original goal another option for the fuse wire would be a wylex retrofit MCB though I don't even know if you can still get them.

:) hahaha
Well I can't find any more markings on the cable. Typical :)
As fas as I can see the cable is 2 core with the old red and black wires coming out
The outer diameter of those wires measures approx 5mm
I can't check the diameter of the actual copper atm as my partner is working from the office and needs the electricity on to contact strange people in faraway lands :D
I'll have to wait an hour or so and try and measure the copper wire a bit later

Last edited:
:) hahaha
Well I can't find any more markings on the cable. Typical :)
As fas as I can see the cable is 2 core with the old red and black wires coming out
The outer diameter of those wires measures approx 5mm
Not 100% but I'd say it's 6mm², single core 6mm is about 4.5mm diameter
I can't check the diameter of the actual copper atm as my partner is working from the office and needs the electricity on to contact strange people in faraway lands :D
You are also I'm about 9000km from you ATM.

Anyway back to the original question where this all began if we go off using a 30amp fuse to feed the garage and you go from the garage to the office with 4mm or 6mm on 32 amp breakers to the inverter your maximum power will be 7200w far above the 5000w of the inverter but obviously below the 10000w peak draw as it's an office and your unlikely to have any large motors or compressors I really wouldn't think it was much of an issue, but I do have another suggestion.

Fit the inverter in the garage this means you can take advantage of any loads in there also and the big thing for me would be noise, not sure how loud the growwatt is but my aio`s are an ear full , don't know how happy your wife would be with a jet engine in the background of her conference calls.

You are also I'm about 9000km from you ATM.
And I'm in England which I think the Scottish also class as "strange people in faraway lands" ;)

Well, that call took an age :)

So, on the topic of the SWA: according to my calipers, the diameter of the copper inside the old black and red wires is approx 3.4mm (give or take a mm here or there).

PVC insulation on core cables = approx 5mm

Overall diameter of cable (i.e. the black outer jacket) = approx 15mm

Does this help us identify roughly the size of the SWA?

It sounds like the safest bet would be a 32a MCB before the inverter

Cheers my friends in faraway places :D

Does this help us identify roughly the size of the SWA?
With my schoolgirl maths.. 3.4mm diameter = 1.7mm radius; area = pi * r² (I cut and pasted @ThaiTaffy's ² there ;) ). So area = 9mm² if it was solid core, which it isn't being stranded. So it looks like it's 6mm² as TT guessed.

But you say give or take a mm, well, if it was only 2.4mm diameter, then that's area of 4mm². So, at least we know it's big enough for a 32A MCB = result.

Cheers that’s amazing! Apologies my brain is also flagging after digging the giant soakaway hole in the garden…
I meant to say give or take 0.1 mm here or there, not give or take a millimetre 😀
But yes, I’ll see if I can get a sparky in to put a 32a MCB in the house, then add a new CU in the garage

The inverter will go in the garage because of the jet engine decibel levels 😀 I’m not sure if I will run everything in the garage off the solar system, but perhaps after the inverter I can put a CU with RCD and enough MCBs for a) the office and b) one or two sockets in the garage for occasional use of power tools etc

I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it though

Thanks again you guys, you are amazingly helpful and generous with your time.

No doubt I’ll be in touch again soon 😀

Forgive me if I’ve missed or forgotten something (it’s been a busy day and now the two tots are jumping on my head), but just as an example of gear:

Would this CU be suitable to go in the house before the SWA (assuming there’s enough space for the b***** thing)?
It has a 100a mains switch fitted, and a 32a MCB:

Perhaps then the mains switch could be removed and replaced with the

WCED 2 Pole 63A 30mA Type B RCD​

that an ebayer offered me for about £40 (as opposed to the £115 or so at other outlets).

Or would I need a unit with space for a mains switch as well?

Apologies if I’m being dense and have missed something that was mentioned earlier!

Thanks and have a great weekend!

diy solar

diy solar
Back