diy solar

diy solar

Looking for recommendations for 48v battery equalizers/balancers for lead acid.

SolarSamSurfer

Here to learn.
I would like to buy a battery balancer for my 48v lead acid system, it has 4x 12v batteries. I have only found two options in my country and they both seem to be generic. Does anyone use one of these models? are they reliable?

option one or option two

I think they are all pretty much the same thing, i.e. a HA02 balancer, just with different brand stickers on them.
There is also the HC02 which has a voltage display.

Just google "HA02 balancer" or "HC02 balancer" and you'll find a bazillion suppliers. Use one you trust.

I use the HA02 balancer, have one each on my two 4 x 12 V 190 Ah SLA battery banks. Seem to work well. I did a quick check of my batteries the other day and the lower bank had a 30mV variance, the top bank a 50mV variance. I'm no expert in lead acid but that seemed fine by me.

Here is another option, Mazava PLC-10.

24V 12V Battery Balancer PLC-10 Battery Equalizer Batteries Voltage Balance Lead Acid Battery Series 22.2V 25.6V 29.6V

This product is available at other locations, but here is one link. It costs a few dollars more than it did a few months ago.

Going to try asking in this thread.

I have 8x6 volt FLA batteries in series.

How do I balance these ?

Going to try asking in this thread.

I have 8x6 volt FLA batteries in series.

How do I balance these ?
Balance is not something I've heard mentioned for FLA so that's a new one to me. Periodic equalization has historically been the best way to ensure your batteries are healthy.

Equalize them until all of the cells are reading a specific gravity of 1.270 +/- .05 (check your battery's manual for exacts) is how I would get them to all the same voltage. Of course that is rather energy intensive and takes many hours of babysitting.

I've never used a balancer but they do look intriguing.

Are you folks with balancers also keeping a close eye on your specific gravity?

i am using AGM
Well that answers that. I'm so used to using 2v flooded cells it didn't even occur to me that others would be doing something different.

Do you and wattmatters feel the battery balancer is doing the job then?

yes, greatly... the reason I got them was because I had 1 or 2 batteries that were always to low on voltage. these do not ballence the cells of each battery, but ballance the voltage between 2 (up to 4) batteries. I have had them for about a year now with no problems.

There are a couple of options.

Option 1

The simplest is to consider each pair of batteries as one 12 V battery, and to just balance four pairs. One four-battery balancer only.

You may want to check how the individual batteries in each pair are doing every so often, but this at least balances the pairs and that's a pretty decent start.

Keep in mind that each 6 V battery is made up of three 2 V cells and we are not balancing down to individual cell level, so in effect this is what each of my battery banks has - one balancer per group of six cells, it's just all six of my cells are in the same 12 V battery rather than in two 6 V batteries.

Option 2

If you were really thinking you wanted to balance all of the 6 V batteries with each other then you can cross connect these balancers but for eight batteries in series it would require three balancers.

e.g. you can connect them as follows
Balancer 1: Batteries 1,2,3,4
Balancer 2: Batteries 5,6,7,8
Balancer 3: Batteries 2,4,6,8 (or batteries 1,3,5,7)

It's obviously triple the cost to buy three balancers and prices seem have gone up a fair bit since I got mine. So it will come down to what these are being used for and how critical you consider this balancing to be for your application.

I think what I would do is option 1, then monitor the pairs for a while and see how they go.

The caveat with all of this is if you have a bad cell somewhere, or a bad battery, then a balancer is not going to make up for that.

Well ... thank you very much for the time and information !!!
It's a new system .... I am not connected in any way to grid power so this is my electric.
It is an independent system and will give me what I need with adequate room for further consumption growth ... especially considering it is added to my existing 12 v which works just fine for my current lifestyle.

The balancing... I am actually not sure how "critical" it is per se. I just want to make every last as long as possible (which is what maintaining something properly accomplishes). Just been reading about "balanced charging" and battery balancers and trying to figure it all out.

Further to how "critical" it may be .. This is going to be used for heavier loads over shorter time periods where current system has longer duration lower draw loads such as lights for example.

Question though .... I can visualize how the individual batteries are hooked together with the three for balancing because it almost makes sense from what I've learned so far BUT why the third balancer hooked to every other one ... I'm missing something in my

The other BUT ... I'm not seeing how I would wire the balancer treating them like blocks of 12v when they are in series.
B1+B2-, B3+B4- etc down the line.

And then like you, I'm just trying to balance a section of 6@2v cells vs 3@2v if I went for the 3 balancer option.

Thx again ... you have really peaked my curiosity.

Question though .... I can visualize how the individual batteries are hooked together with the three for balancing because it almost makes sense from what I've learned so far BUT why the third balancer hooked to every other one
It's just a way to place the third cross over balancer at midpoints.

This means the third cross over balancer operates like a 12 V balancer, rather than as a 6 V balancer as the other two units would.

I doubt it would make a lot of difference.

You could instead place the cross over balancer on batteries 3,4,5,6.

Back