diy solar

diy solar

Looks like JK BMS are in Hot Water

When I was selecting a BMS for my 4S RV battery build, I watched Andy's video where one of the JK mosfets audibly popped and failed at full rated load current. That was the moment I decided no Mosfet BMS for me, regardless of the manufacturer. In my system, the BMS will operate a Tyco Electronics EV200 functioning as the load break switch and a class T fuse as overcurrent protection.

Seeing he latest issue reported by Andy, I'm doubly glad I did not go down that path.

I just received a new JK with the active balancer supposed to be 200 amps has two 8 Awg wire on each side not impressed with that. Now this issue wonder if I should just sell it on eBay and buy a JBD Smart BMS they seem to have heavier connections. I lose the active balancer if my batteries are good shouldn't need it. What do you think of the JBD AP21S004 Smart bms as a good replacement for the JK I have.

I figured out the one with the problem is not he JK model I have.

Last edited:
Alka, did we REALLY need another thread on this?
You have already posted in the other one so you knew it existed, yes?

The JBD Overkill is still *almost* bulletproof
Fully agree. It appears if JBD is not making the 16s contactor based one any longer. I am running one of their latest 150A 16s units with both UART and RS485 sockets ( heating pad output on request ) . Love it !! We are just a small part of their market - you will find JBD in lots of medical equipment et al.

Last edited:
Fully agree. It appears if JBD is not making the 16s contactor based one any longer. I am running one of their latest 150A 16s units with both UART and RS485 sockets ( heating pad output on request ) . Love it !! We are just a small part of their market - you will find JBD in lots of medical equipment et al.
Hi, can you send the link to the JBD that you are using?

First it was the BMS units catching fire/mosfets burning, then it was BMS having PIA methods of waking up, but now they are straight up going to destory your cells:

JBD all the way, NO WAY JK.
Storm in a tea up. Its fixed with new software update.
Andy wouldn't make much money if his videos were boring?

Back