diy solar

diy solar

Low energy strip lights

mviertel

Hi. I'm renovating our old farmhouse (in Ireland) off-grid. To facilitate sufficient lighting for the work, I was going to install LED batten lights throughout, however I found that the ones I bought (40W, 4000LM, 4ft) worked great, but are drawing 100W instead of the advertised 40W. I actually suspect that many of these LED batten lights draw far more than advertised. One of these sights would be fine, but as I had planned to install 10 of them, it makes quite the difference to my inverter.

Are there any recommendations for low wattage, high coverage lights that I could consider as alternatives, at a cost effective price?

I found that the ones I bought (40W, 4000LM, 4ft) worked great, but are drawing 100W instead of the advertised 40W.
Happen to have a link? I wonder if your "lights" have several 40W LEDs? And even then 40W let is pretty high - i have 10W LEDs and they are pretty bright as 2 will illuminate a good sized room.

but the power draw is just way to high for what I am planning.
I cannot tell if you are measuring watts at your battery(s) or after its converted to AC (230V i assume but that does not matter). Perhaps your inverter is using a good deal of power. And/or maybe your inverter is modified sine wave and the LEDs are inefficient with crappy AC current(?).

If you are drawing power from batteries, your best bet would be to get DC lights so you can run directly from your battery voltage.

I haven't installed them yet (just arrived), so I tested them off my Poweroak 2000W, which shows me the power draw on the AC outlet.

which shows me the power draw on the AC outlet.
I would try to verify that number if possible. But, it sounds like its quite a bit higher than you want. DC lights from batteries are going to likely be the best bet for efficiency.
But if you're running everything thru the Bluetti Poweroak, then you should see what DC outputs that has and use that if convenient (convenience vs efficiency it seems you have a choice).

Thanks for the replies. The Poweroak is used as interim till I have researched and decided on the power system I want to build (most likely Solar+Wind+Diesel and maybe a small Hydro).

I'll look into the DC lights, but my worry is that supply/choice will be even more limited.

Wouldn't that 100W draw include the overhead for running the inverter?

Running 40W on a 2000W inverter is a small load on a big inverter and so you are going to be hit with an upfront inefficiency.

Or do I misunderstand how the readings are taken?

Put another way: does connecting two strip lights double the figure to 200W?

Last edited:
Fair enough. I suppose easy enough to test, if I wire up a 2nd light and see if the draw increases linear or not.

Back