diy solar

diy solar

LV6048 AC output voltage fluctuating 30v!

Doodsir

I'm running the LV6048 currently only using 1 EG4 48v 100ah battery, and about 2200w of solar. When I have the inverter set to solar/battery primary source, the AC output is fluctuating voltage from 106v-136v all within a second or 2. This is in L1 and L2. (Running split phase 240) It is powering a sub panel with a security camera system, some lights, refrigerator, and freezer chest. All together well within the capabilities of the inverter.
Does anyone have any idea why I'm seeing this voltage fluctuation?
Thanks in advanced ?

First thing is to determine if its an internal Inverter voltage regulation issue, some kind of interaction or problem with one of the loads or the meter itself. First check the meter on a normal utility receptacle and verify voltage stability and that the test leads are OK.
Turn off all the loads on the Inverter subpanel and attach the volt meter to the output of the Inverter. Turn on each load one by one and see what happens.

It occurred to me that you were most likely referring to the voltage readings on the Inverter itself. If so, then the above still applies and you should use a good handheld tester as a second source of voltage measurement.

Ok so I verified the voltage fluctuating with a meter. I then moved the freezer chest to L2 so that it's not on L1 with the refrigerator, that made the fluctuation less extreme but still 12-15 volts. When the freezer isn't running the voltage is stable, right at 120v... It's a small newer freezer that only pulls a couple amps, even with an initial spike at start-up I would think the inverter could handle it. I'll probably pick up a DC amp meter to see what it's pulling from the battery

So its the freezer. Not sure what to make of it. The LV6048 is a low frequency inverter with a big transformer so theoretically it should be fairly tolerant of inductive loads and electrical noise. Maybe a loose connection on the freezer motor or capacitor.

I'll be tearing into the freezer this week or next weekend, I appreciate the feed back ? I'll post when I get it figured out

Check the 240 vac level between L1 & L2 to see if it also varies when you see the variance in 120 vac on one side.

Ended up being a compressor failure on the appliance that was tripping on and off causing the inverter fluctuation. Freezer is only about a year old... Guess they don't make them like they used to lol. Thanks for the suggestions, help and input!

I'm having the same issue with the same model... I sourced it back to my refrigerator. Could the fridge components failing actually cause a voltage fluctuation all the way back to the inverter?? I understand that there is a "free floating" ground on the system and mpp solar advised me to bond the ac output N-G terminals and install a breaker on the line. My fridge sounds a little odd but otherwise works perfectly. If I installed the breaker (I'm also unsure how to do this on L1 and L2 split phase, would I get a two pole breaker and run both legs through it?) would it still have voltage fluctuations? There is technically already a breaker present in the system it's a 100a 2 pole breaker that's wired to connect a generator and I've just plugged that into a 4 strand extention cord that has a 30a receptacle at the end and the other end the wires go into the inverter. How do I get the fluctuations to stop?

It was cheaper and easier for me to just replace the freezer (smaller one)??‍♂️ now I don't have the problem... However the original freezer does still work when I plug it into grid power. I'm guessing the spike when the compressor kicks on peaks higher than what the inverter can handle and it causes a relay on the compressor to turn off and then back on again repeatedly and I think that is what the inverter didn't like. If you find out anything different I'd be interested to hear.

Can either of you that have the LV6048 let me know how much noise that unit puts off? I was going to put one in a small cabin where we won't be able to avoid the noise. Thank you!

Pretty quite actually once you mute the beeping in the settings, you'll hear a fan kick on under high load but there is an air filter over it that does a good job muffling it too

Pretty quite actually once you mute the beeping in the settings, you'll hear a fan kick on under high load but there is an air filter over it that does a good job muffling it too
Thanks. I watched Will Prowse review and he didn't like how much sound it made.

Ya it's not bad at all, but I'm in the suburbs and have some noise all the time, so it'll probably be more noticeable in a cabin in the woods. Also it makes a click everytime the MPPT controllers turn on or off, so twice a day when the voltage is just barely enough to charge it'll keep turning on and off... Clicking a few times

Ya it's not bad at all, but I'm in the suburbs and have some noise all the time, so it'll probably be more noticeable in a cabin in the woods. Also it makes a click everytime the MPPT controllers turn on or off, so twice a day when the voltage is just barely enough to charge it'll keep turning on and off... Clicking a few times
Thanks!

Can either of you that have the LV6048 let me know how much noise that unit puts off? I was going to put one in a small cabin where we won't be able to avoid the noise. Thank you!
It's relatively loud if you have a lot of current going to/from your batteries

How do you mute the beeping sounds?

Back