diy solar

diy solar

Magnum MS4448PAE strange sine wave / arc fault nuisance trips

OffGridVT

As the thread title states, I have a Magnum MS4448PAE that is causing nuisance trips with arc fault interrupters on the same leg (L1). For example if I have an arc fault breaker in slot #2 on my panel, and a standard breaker in slot #4 on the panel and a toaster oven connected to breaker #4, after running the toaster oven for a minute or two, AFI breaker #2 will trip (even with nothing attached to that breaker). All the breakers are Eaton.

By moving the resistive load to L2, this problem goes away. But that isn't a long term solution, as resistive loads will be plugged in in the future to other circuits without much thought as to what leg of the panel is being used.

I'm not sure if the funny business happening around 0 volts is causing it, but that's what I see when I put an oscilloscope on the inverter.

Has anyone else realized this problem?

I am thinking of upgrading to a different inverter, as this one promised frequency shifting for ac coupled solar, but its frequency shift voltage set points are non adjustable and aren't compatible with LFP batteries.

SDS00007.jpg

Can't help on the ARC faults, they all seem to nuisance trip, even in regular residential use.

Have you checked with Magnum to make sure the remote panel version installed is capable of performing the changes? Most Magnum inverters need the remote panel to make the changes and if it's not the right version then it wont work. You may be able to swap it for an updated panel and get the Freq Shifting working the way you need it.

Can't help on the ARC faults, they all seem to nuisance trip, even in regular residential use.

Have you checked with Magnum to make sure the remote panel version installed is capable of performing the changes? Most Magnum inverters need the remote panel to make the changes and if it's not the right version then it wont work. You may be able to swap it for an updated panel and get the Freq Shifting working the way you need it.
That's a good point, I'll have to reach out to Magnum/Sensata to see if there are any other versions of the remote panel that support editing frequency shift parameters.

my 3rd quarter 2021 model has LFP settings and I am running 6 Signature Solar Lifepower’s no problem. May just need to upgrade to the ME-ARC and the latest firmware.

diy solar

diy solar
Back