diy solar

diy solar

EG4 8kW Hybrid Inverter - my impression after 30 days use.

McRod

Solar Enthusiast
Ok, so I went and purchased the EG4 8kw hybrid AIO inverter from SS. I am going to give you my impressions upfront with only 30 days.

Bottom line: It's a quality unit with dependable performance in the capacity that I am using it. Worthy of your purchase consideration.

Picture of the unit in operation paired with 3 x EG4 LL v2 lithium batteries (which deserve their own review).

IMG_20230128_090126.jpg

First off, my tiny home is 100% off grid. The nearest utility connection is 1.5 miles away. Estimated cost to run power is about $80,000 US.

Cost for whole house solar system, self installed was ~$10,000.

I am not an electrician or a solar installer, but have been using various off grid solar systems exclusively since 2016 using various Magnum Energy and Victron inverters and charge controllers.

Ease of installation. The manual covered the exact steps needed to insure communication from the batteries to the inverter. I like the use of ferrule terminals on the cabling. The ground bussbar was the only issue needing modification as it requires ring terminals to attach and the bar is behind the main cable inputs.

The unit casing is well built from steel, not aluminium or plastic. Although it's heavy (90+ lbs?) I was able to mount it by myself. Two people would be better. It came with the correct mounting bolts. The unit comes with 4 separate PV inputs of 3000w each, so you won't need a PV combiner box. I question if a PV disconnect is needed either since the unit has a PV disconnect built in. The manual says to use one, so you can see one in my picture, meant for two strings. The unit can handle 4 PV strings at 3000w each string (12 amps per string) for a total of 12,000 watts PV input. Minimum PV voltage per string is 120v, max is 500v.

After connecting 1 string of my PV array (2730W), connecting the batteries, connecting the AC output to the main fuse panel box, and connecting a backup 50 amp generator AC input, I turned on the unit.

It fired up and it took me about 30 seconds to figure out the menu. I went step by step through each selection, however it was pretty much correct right out of the box. I haven't done any firmware or software "upgrades".

My power usage includes a 30 gallon Rheem electric water heater that uses a 4500w heating element, an 18kw/240v minisplit A/C and heater with two head units. Then the normal house stuff like lights, outlets, refrigerator, TV, phone chargers, stove, washing machine, microwave, coffee pot, etc etc. I don't have a dryer (we use clothes line) and my stove/oven is propane.

No tripped breakers. The unit runs quiet. My Frigidaire refrigerator is louder than the unit.

Idle consumption of the inverter is approximately ~70 watts. Here is a picture from the unit with the main breaker off.

IMG_20230128_175635.jpg

Take note of that little icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen. That icon is the "lock screen" icon that prevents the screen from scrolling to the next data point. It is locked/unlocked by pressing the "enter" button (far right button).

Originally, I posted about one hiccup so far that is definitely software related. I thought I had found the simple solution. The unit was rebooting itself every 48 hours at exactly 6:57 am. This obviously caused everything in the home to turn off, then back on. Clocks have to be reset, etc. The solution I tried was to go into the settings, then switch ARC enabled to "disabled". This was based on another thread in this forum. It turned out to not work in my situation.

I sent an email to SS for guidance, it took nearly a month to get a response acknowledgement and then another 4 days for a suggested solution. The solution appears to be correct as the unit no longer reboots.

Here is the solution if you find yourself in the same situation:

MAKE SURE THIS SETTING IS DISABLED.

SETUP ---> RUN SETTINGS ----> ACTIVE REP -----> INSULATION DETECTION -----> DISABLED

Some of the menu items are so vague a programming engineer wouldn't understand them. I wouldn't suggest just randomly enabling or disabling menu items to figure it out. It requires the seller to write a comprehensive owners manual for the buyer and it would maybe even lessen their tech support demand!

I am obviously not using the grid connection features of this unit, so I can't comment on that aspect. I saw Will Prowse's video, but I simply am not having the issue he had because he was putting the unit through all its limits. My unit did come with the CT connectors. I am also not using any wifi or Bluetooth connectivity, but the unit did come with a wifi connection device. For me, it's just easy to look at the screen on the inverter for information.

I was skeptical when I saw SS put this unit up for sale knowing it was a chinese clone. But I needed a 240v solution without daisy chaining inverters that would cost the same and fit in my space (see closet picture). There are options for you to purchase this unit directly from China and save nearly $1000. SS tech support is on par with chinese tech support, imo. You send an email and hope to get a response in a month.

There are pros and cons to an All-in-one unit. Primarily cost savings is the pro (space and wiring ease another), but the con being eggs all in one basket. If part of it don't work, the entire system might go down waiting on parts or repair. I have been fortunate to never have an inverter or charge controller malfunction, and I certainly put them to the test learning solar.. many many tripped breakers and battery depletions and panicked dark nights were part of that learning curve.

Most people only post negative problem reviews or they just live there life with no review if there are no problems. Maybe I will revisit this thread in a year to give another update if I have any need.

Last edited:
Ok, so I went and purchased the EG4 8kw hybrid AIO inverter from SS.

That unit is a relabled Megarevo unit.
Look at this thread for more info:

Only one hiccup so far that is definitely software related. I have not found a solution in the menu items. The unit reboots itself every 48 hours at exactly 6:57 am. This obviously causes everything in the home to turn off, then back on. Clocks have to be reset. I am guessing there is a "tech" menu that could easily fix this issue. Suggestions are welcome.

In the above mentioned thread, there is a setting that can be disabled to avoid that behavior. (when I remember correctly Isolation resistance measurement)
When you are grid tied, the grid takes over during the reset. I am grid tied _and_ have it disabled ;-)

I am obviously not using the grid connection features of this unit, so can't comment on that aspect. I am also not using any wifi or Bluetooth connectivity. It's just easy to look at the screen on the inverter.
https://solar-assistant.io/ works with a direct connection to a MR if you would like more statistics.

That unit is a relabled Megarevo unit.
Look at this thread for more info:

In the above mentioned thread, there is a setting that can be disabled to avoid that behavior. (when I remember correctly Isolation resistance measurement)
When you are grid tied, the grid takes over during the reset. I am grid tied _and_ have it disabled ;-)
Is it a relabeled MegaRevo or a "Relabeled", Relabeled Deye? ?

Yeah, I read parts of that thread. It got pretty geeky at around page 4. Also the thread started out with someone complaining about "bugs" on the data screen, but reality was just the user not understanding how to manipulate the screen. Real basic stuff like the screen lock function.

Anyhow, it was 43 pages long and I didn't find the 48 hour reset "bug". ?

It is not a deye.

What's the difference between the 8k Deye and the 8k MegaRevo?

Thanks for that link. I wonder if there has been an update to the firmware. That post was almost a year ago and the firmware versions they cite are quite a bit older than the firmware on my EG4. SS said they had done quite a bit of software tweaking before release. Wonder if there is a work around without some sort of grid connection.

can this unit be paralleled with another of the same unit for 16K output?

can this unit be paralleled with another of the same unit for 16K output?
Yes, I think it can be paralleled 4x. My question to you, is what in the world are you powering that requires 16k AC output?

What's the difference between the 8k Deye and the 8k MegaRevo?

3 mppt inputs vs 4 as a starter
Much more, compare the spec sheets

Thanks for that link. I wonder if there has been an update to the firmware. That post was almost a year ago and the firmware versions they cite are quite a bit older than the firmware on my EG4. SS said they had done quite a bit of software tweaking before release. Wonder if there is a work around without some sort of grid connection.
The answer was given several postings down.
Read...

It is not a deye.

I might have figured it out.

There is a setting called "ARC enabled" user option is "enable" (default) or "disable". According to that thread it is to comply with UL1741 the Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter, AFCI, must perform an ARC test. This must be the setting to disable it. There is no explanation in the manual for this setting so I left it at default. Seems if you're off grid you may need to disable it.

We will know for sure in 40'ish hours! I will report back.

Is it a relabeled MegaRevo or a "Relabeled", Relabeled Deye? ?

Yeah, I read parts of that thread. It got pretty geeky at around page 4. Also the thread started out with someone complaining about "bugs" on the data screen, but reality was just the user not understanding how to manipulate the screen. Real basic stuff like the screen lock function.

Anyhow, it was 43 pages long and I didn't find the 48 hour reset "bug". ?
this is NOT a deye but in time may become a very viable alternative to deye/sunsynk/sol-ark

3 mppt inputs vs 4 as a starter
Much more, compare the spec sheets

The answer was given several postings down.
Read...
I am not intentionally being lazy. The thread is 43 pages long because its all over the map. There are at least a dozen topics being discussed in the first 10 pages. People just jump in and post some random, unrelated question or complaint. A lot of it is grid tied, which doesn't fit my situation.

I will revise my OP to reflect the discovery.

There is a setting called "ARC enabled" user option is "enable" (default) or "disable". According to that thread it is to comply with UL1741 the Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter, AFCI, must perform an ARC test. This must be the setting to disable it. There is no explanation in the manual for this setting so I left it at default. Seems if you're off grid you may need to disable it.

We will know for sure in 40'ish hours! I will report back.
I think that is indeed the option.
It should do that every 24 hours as stated in the thread. Let us know. In the last few pages, there is newer software available from December 22

@McRod have you measured the idle consumption? Do you have any issues with lights pulsing/flickering when your washer agitates? Well pump? How does it handle surges?

@McRod have you measured the idle consumption? Do you have any issues with lights pulsing/flickering when your washer agitates? Well pump? How does it handle surges?
I will post a picture of the idle consumption in the OP, however, its ~70w.

I don't get any light flickering under any circumstance. Although, I was noticing the wattage usage fluctuate on L1 during each agitation of the washing machine. Didn't effect any other circuits. My water pump is on a separate solar system.

Last edited:
Yes, I think it can be paralleled 4x. My question to you, is what in the world are you powering that requires 16k AC output?
My dryer runs at 6kw. During the summer, If I turn on my central AC which runs at about 3.5Kw after startup, while the dryer is on, that would exceed this inverters output. I want to be able to run my microwave, my electric kettle and all these things at the same time, if need be, without having to think about it.

Right now I have 2 LVX6048WP's but I only run one at time because the idle draw on these things is ridiculous.. When it is time to run my dryer I have to turn the second one. I just want to have a unit where I don't have to even think about it at all.

I'm seriously considering the 12KW GSL unit, if all the outstanding issues with paralleling and AC coupling are resolved

My dryer runs at 6kw. During the summer, If I turn on my central AC which runs at about 3.5Kw after startup, while the dryer is on, that would exceed this inverters output. I want to be able to run my microwave, my electric kettle and all these things at the same time, if need be, without having to think about it.

Right now I have 2 LVX6048WP's but I only run one at time because the idle draw on these things is ridiculous.. When it is time to run my dryer I have to turn the second one. I just want to have a unit where I don't have to even think about it at all.
There are much cheaper solutions. Get a soft start for your AC unit. In the summer hang your clothes outside. I installed a soft start on a 3T A/C unit and the RLA went from 109 amps to 23amps. Sometimes you may need to modify your behaviour to manage your loads. But often that won't happen until the SHTF. Then it's too late. Or consider the Growatt 12k unit. Its loud as hell, but I don't think you will trip it.

Ok, so I went and purchased the EG4 8kw hybrid AIO inverter from SS. I am going to give you my impressions upfront with only 30 days.

Bottom line: It's a quality unit with dependable performance in the capacity that I am using it. Worthy of your purchase consideration.

Picture of the unit in operation paired with 3 x EG4 LL v2 lithium batteries (which deserve their own review).

View attachment 131854

First off, my tiny home is 100% off grid. The nearest utility connection is 1.5 miles away. Estimated cost to run power is about $80,000 US.

Cost for whole house solar system, self installed was ~$10,000.

I am not an electrician or a solar installer, but have been using various off grid solar systems exclusively since 2016 using various Magnum Energy and Victron inverters and charge controllers.

Ease of installation. The manual covered the exact steps needed to insure communication from the batteries to the inverter. I like the use of ferrule terminals on the cabling. The ground bussbar was the only issue needing modification as it requires ring terminals to attach and the bar is behind the main cable inputs.

The unit casing is well built from steel, not aluminium or plastic. Although it's heavy (90+ lbs?) I was able to mount it by myself. Two people would be better. It came with the correct mounting bolts. The unit comes with 4 separate PV inputs of 3000w each, so you won't need a PV combiner box. I question if a PV disconnect is needed either since the unit has a PV disconnect built in. The manual says to use one, so you can see one in my picture, meant for two strings. The unit can handle 4 PV strings at 3000w each string (12 amps per string) for a total of 12,000 watts PV input. Minimum PV voltage per string is 120v, max is 500v.

After connecting 1 string of my PV array (2730W), connecting the batteries, connecting the AC output to the main fuse panel box, and connecting a backup 50 amp generator AC input, I turned on the unit.

It fired up and it took me about 30 seconds to figure out the menu. I went step by step through each selection, however it was pretty much correct right out of the box. I haven't done any firmware or software "upgrades".

My power usage includes a 30 gallon Rheem electric water heater that uses a 4500w heating element, an 18kw/240v minisplit A/C and heater with two head units. Then the normal house stuff like lights, outlets, refrigerator, TV, phone chargers, stove, washing machine, microwave, coffee pot, etc etc. I don't have a dryer (we use clothes line) and my stove/oven is propane.

No tripped breakers. The unit runs quiet. My Frigidaire refrigerator is louder than the unit.

Idle consumption of the inverter is approximately ~70 watts. Here is a picture from the unit with the main breaker off.

View attachment 131934

Take note of that little icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen. That icon is the "lock screen" icon that prevents the screen from scrolling to the next data point. It is locked/unlocked by pressing the "enter" button (far right button).

Originally, I posted about one hiccup so far that is definitely software related. I did find the simple solution. The unit was rebooting itself every 48 hours at exactly 6:57 am. This obviously caused everything in the home to turn off, then back on. Clocks have to be reset, etc. The solution was to go into the settings, then switch ARC enabled to "disabled".

I am obviously not using the grid connection features of this unit, so can't comment on that aspect. My unit did come with the CT connectors. I am also not using any wifi or Bluetooth connectivity, but the unit did come with a wifi connection device. For me, it's just easy to look at the screen on the inverter for information.

I was skeptical when I saw SS put this unit up for sale knowing it was a chinese clone. But I needed a 240v solution without daisy chaining inverters that would cost the same but I don't have the space (see pic).

There are pros and cons to an All-in-one unit. Primarily cost savings is the pro (space and wiring ease another), but the con being eggs all in one basket. If part of it don't work, the entire system might go down waiting on parts or repair. I have been fortunate to never have an inverter or charge controller malfunction, and I certainly put them to the test learning solar.. many many tripped breakers and battery depletions and panicked dark nights were part of that learning curve.

Most people only post negative problem reviews and just live there life if there are none. Maybe I will revisit this thread in a year to give another upda

Back