diy solar

diy solar

Just installed my EG4 12K hybrid mini-split!

the.harold.c

I finally decided to pull the trigger on a mini-split for my detached garage. This forum has been instrumental in helping me decide on the EG4, and for helping me work up the courage to do it on my own. I’ll be adding some panels this spring!

(*mine included the template to drill the line-set hole - thanks Will! 😉)

Thanks everyone!

*I’ve only just begun to wall-out the inside of the building. I put those initial plywood panels up first (over the foam-board insulation) just to facilitate the install. (The inside unit is mounted to a horizontal 2x12 running between the 2 vertical metal posts) I’m going to eventually cover the seams, hardy-board style with some 1x4 trim boards, etc..

IMG_9418.jpegIMG_9398.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice! Any gotchas during installation, or hints to yourself for the next time? Given the price of these, it's awfully tempting!
No real “gotchas”…

The end result is really just the sum of a bunch of simple steps.

My advice to anyone contemplating this is just to try and visualize and plan your layout in as much detail as possible.

My initial planning paid off when it came time to organize the power, and line set (in the conduit and behind the unit). It could’ve turned into an unsightly mess if I hadn’t considered where everything needed to go beforehand.

(For example - planning exactly where the line-set hole needed to be in relation to the ribs on the outside wall – any higher or lower, and the top cap of the conduit would’ve been misaligned over the ribs)

Last edited:
Really well done!

I'm considering one of these for my shop, too. Your pictures are truly inspiring. I like the reference to a bunch of little steps. Kind of like eating an elephant, eh?

Thanks for sharing. It's time for me to start planning.

I thought it came with a 16’ lineset. If so, where is the extra line?

Would you also let us know where your purchased from?

Thanks

I thought it came with a 16’ lineset. If so, where is the extra line?

Would you also let us know where your purchased from?

Thanks
I ended up with 1 manageable coil behind the unit.

I purchased it from shopsolarkits.com (their customer service up to this point has been fantastic 👍🏼)IMG_9421.jpeg

No real “gotchas”…

The end result is really just the sum of a bunch of simple steps.

My advice to anyone contemplating this is just to try and visualize and plan your layout in as much detail as possible.

My initial planning paid off when it came time to organize the power, and line set (in the conduit and behind the unit). It could’ve turned into an unsightly mess if I hadn’t considered where everything needed to go beforehand.
Nice clean install, well done.
(For example - planning exactly where the line-set hole needed to be in relation to the ribs on the outside wall – any higher or lower, and the top cap of the conduit would’ve been misaligned over the ribs)
I think this was the most time consuming part when I installed my Pioneer 12K.

Back