diy solar

diy solar

Solar for a non-EG4 mini split

JakAHearts

I just installed a new Mini split unit (kicking myself for not going with the EG4 units but I didnt see them until after purchasing the new unit) and am looking to make my first solar journey converting it to converting to running off solar while still being hooked to grid for backup. I know the EG4 has an MPPT built in that prioritizes PV over grid power. Is there something like this available to install/program so my current mini split operates in this fashion? I plan to have excess solar charge a small battery array as well if that will all work. So.... should I try this or should I just wait until this one breaks and just go with the EG4?

Ya, unfortunately nothing you can do with that except build a Solar setup and run it thru an inverter.
that’s what’s so sweet with the EG4 AC/DC. Alls you need is plug in the Solar panels.

The other option involves Solar panels, charge controllers, inverters and Batteries. Rather expensive option To be able to get up to the power needed to run a mini split There is nothing I know of that would automatically grid switch a small home built system.

Last edited:
Thanks yall! Oddly enough, all I really was asking was about inverters/batteries. I see now that a hybrid or grid connected inverter will do what Im after. Back when I posted this I didnt realize some inverters had input from the grid. I thought everything was off grid pretty much. :) Thanks!

You can get a Growatt SPF-5000-ES and wire it between the grid and mini split. Then just add solar panels. It will run without batteries. And power the mini split from solar during the day and grid at night.
Later, you can add batteries to use excess solar production at night, if you want.

You can get a Growatt SPF-5000-ES and wire it between the grid and mini split. Then just add solar panels. It will run without batteries. And power the mini split from solar during the day and grid at night.
Later, you can add batteries to use excess solar production at night, if you want.
There you go simplifying things again...LOL

Thanks Tim! I think this is what I am interested in doing. My county/city is kinda being a PITA when it comes to solar installing so let's hope they dont just shut down my whole idea. I have to roof mount and they recently added some overbearing legislation about who and how they can install.

On your note, without batteries, and grid connected, is it possible to ever backed the grid as that opens a whole other can of worms it seems.

Thanks Tim! I think this is what I am interested in doing. My county/city is kinda being a PITA when it comes to solar installing so let's hope they dont just shut down my whole idea. I have to roof mount and they recently added some overbearing legislation about who and how they can install.

On your note, without batteries, and grid connected, is it possible to ever backed the grid as that opens a whole other can of worms it seems.
It's not designed for export. But in SUB mode (which is what you need for batteryless), it does occasionally sneak a watt or two out. Not enough to trigger a problem with the utility meter.

Booya!
Some MPP units also do this.
Don't forget to check to make sure the bond between NG is not present on the unit. Some have it, some don't.

N == L2 because Europe

The Growatt SPF-5000-ES from Signature Solar is already modified for this.

Last edited:
Can that modification be done in the field? Is it just removing a jumper or a bolt connection?
Yes, it's just removing a screw.
But you have to open the unit up. (Which may void the warranty)
I modified 3 of mine.
The rest were from Signature Solar.

Back