diy solar

diy solar

Results of 30 days “”off grid””, while on the grid.

Watts Happening

I call it like I see it.
We’ve completed our first month “off grid” while still grid connected. 6.6kw of “not super efficiently” pointed panels, a Sol-Ark 15k and 15kWh of SOK batteries. We’ve overproduced almost every day and the excess has gone into charging my Tesla via the smart loads output. We made a bit over 800kWh with the above setup, plus about 200kWh from the contractor trailer so I’d basically call it 1mWh.

We don’t have an interconnect agreement with the power company, thus I can’t backfeed. For that reason I am using the default Sol-Ark settings that draw a constant 20w to ensure no backfeed. We’ve made it an entire month with sub-1kWh daily usage, aside from two days!

Why the two days you may ask? Because I didn’t realize when I had initially set up the inverter I set one season to end and another to start which changed our usage/charge settings. We were camping and I didn’t realize it had changed, thus the inverter put a couple kilowatts into the batteries each day to bring the state of charge up to 40%. Once I realized it, it was obvious and won’t happen again. Funny how you get to the point you feel bad that you used grid power haha!

As a whole, we could have easily been completely without the grid all month. The Tesla remained plenty charged and we didn’t have any sacrifices for the house. I did however find myself making choices like doing laundry or running the dishwasher during the day, as to avoid discharging the battery bank at night.

Extremely happy with the setup, really looking forward to our upcoming doubling of PV. Hopefully I can convince the inspector we should be allowed to have more batteries before UL9540 is enacted.

Next year we’ll probably have to set up an interconnect agreement with the power company, we’ll overproduce and may as well get some of that back during the winter.

IMG_6415.png

Good report. Confirms i need more PV. I have roughly 25kw of batteries, soon to be 50, but only 3kw of PV on the off grid system. The grid tie system has 9kw of PV so by using the off grid system from around midnight to 4:00 pm Each day, my banked power from the grid tie easily offsets those 8 hours I’m on the grid each evening.

Good report. Confirms i need more PV. I have roughly 25kw of batteries, soon to be 50, but only 3kw of PV on the off grid system. The grid tie system has 9kw of PV so by using the off grid system from around midnight to 4:00 pm Each day, my banked power from the grid tie easily offsets those 8 hours I’m on the grid each evening.
Why not feed the grid tie into the off grid system?

Installed another Inverter in June,
Then added another DIY battery pack in September,
Now building another 3.3kW PV arrary in October...
Repeat!

Can you tell us how the 'contractor trailer' fits in to all of this? I am guessing it is not permanent.

You may have told us elsewhere, but where on the planet are you? What angle/direction are your not so efficiently placed panels?

Thanks

I did however find myself making choices like doing laundry or running the dishwasher during the day, as to avoid discharging the battery bank at night.
That is what full time off gridders do every day and it becomes routine and almost subconscious.

When the sun is out we start charging gadgets, tools, power stations and running appliances that use a big load.

Then a few hours before the sun sets we reduce the load and let the batteries fully charge for night use.

Once you get that habit you can use a smaller system to run everything you need and just plan it out to optimize that free sunshine.

Can you tell us how the 'contractor trailer' fits in to all of this? I am guessing it is not permanent.

You may have told us elsewhere, but where on the planet are you? What angle/direction are your not so efficiently placed panels?

Thanks
This is the trailer: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/the-ultimate-contractor-camper.55337/

It’s used for both work and play. It now has just a single Multiplus-II and one 5kWh server rack battery. It still has the same 1,600w of solar on the roof.

It’s parked outside probably 96% of the time and really doesn’t have much draw inside at all, I empty the fridge etc. So I have the second Multiplus output programmed to switch on and off based on state of charge. When it hits 50% SoC it activates and stays on till the batteries drop to 30%. What that means in the real world is that it turns on around 10-11am and outputs power over an extension cord that leads to a Chargeverter inside the house. That Chargeverter offloads that extra energy into the house batteries.

Over the last month it has equated to 5-9kWh per day in addition to what the house is creating on its own.

That is what full time Solar off gridders do every day and it becomes routine and almost subconscious.

When the sun is out we start charging gadgets, tools, power stations and running appliances that use a big load.

Then a few hours before the sun sets we reduce the load and let the batteries fully charge for night use.

Once you get that habit you can use a smaller system to run everything you need and just plan it out to optimize that free sunshine.
Fixed to say Solar off gridders. :)

Back