diy solar

diy solar

Off-grid while on the grid - Enjoying energy independence!

Watts Happening

I call it like I see it.
Really just sharing an update for those that haven't seen the system and may need a bit of motivation. It sounds like a lot, but it's certainly possible to power your own home without any sacrifices.

Initially the system was to be an EG4 18Kpv, that didn't work out so it became a Sol-Ark 15k. Current battery bank is just (3) SOK 5kWh batteries for a total of 15kWh. I'll be adding another (5) panels to complete the solar pergola tomorrow but thus far it's (10) Canadian Solar 445w (4.45kw total) bifacial panels. Additionally I have 1.6kw installed on my tool trailer outside that is dumping excess power to the house battery bank via an EG4 Chargeverter. Effectively I'd call it about 5.5kw of panels right now, it'll become 8kw tomorrow (Monday). I'll soon install another (10) 395w panels on the roof of the house bringing us to roughly 12kw.

We're in a pretty standard American home, 3 bed 2 bath. (3) Pioneer mini splits inside, 2x 12kbtu and 1x 18kbtu. An additional 12kbtu in the garage.

I fired up the panels on the 6th, and since then we've used zero grid power! Ok, we've pulled 20w continually to eliminate back feeding but at no point needed grid power. We've run everything as normal, TV's, air conditioning with temps in the upper 80s, big fish tank, tech closet with server, a wife... Lowest battery SOC I've seen thus far is 28% which has surprised me, I'll be adding more batteries but I'm focused on the panels right now. I've even put 2-4kWh into my Tesla each day, didn't think I'd have any excess power but have.

Pretty darn neat being able to be on the grid, but effectively generating 100% of your own power. Not exactly sure what the payback period will be, I got some pretty advantageous pricing on most everything so I think it'll be reasonably quick, but I'm really just appreciating the independence provided.

If you haven't seen the pergola, here's a link to its progress. Anyhow, I hope everyone else is heading the right direction on their projects!

You can see our daily grid draw below. You may note it appears we're using more power than generating, the power coming in from the tool trailer isn't factored in (I wish it was) and accounts for roughly 8-9kWh per day.

IMG_6232.png
IMG_6233.png

Cool info, but I'm calling BS.

Standard 'mercan home doesn't have 3-4 mini splits. :p
Honestly it is! Only 1,300sq/ft, I think technically smaller than the standard American home.

It’s not much, but it’s paid for. Truth be told we travel too much to care about buying a bigger home.

Mini splits are the sole reason it’s relatively easy to run on solar. Massive difference!

Honestly it is! Only 1,300sq/ft, I think technically smaller than the standard American home.

It’s not much, but it’s paid for. Truth be told we travel too much to care about buying a bigger home.

Mini splits are the sole reason it’s relatively easy to run on solar. Massive difference!

According to Motley Fool:

2014 sqft nationwide, so yeah... smaller.

Only messing with you. We have 1,000 sqft on you and a single 5ton 14 SEER in sunny Phoenix. I'd need ~20kW of PV (that won't fit on my roof) and 100kWh of battery to survive 24 hours of consumption in the heat of summer.

Glad to see you making it work. Our solution is to sell out when we retire and move up north... :p

According to Motley Fool:

2014 sqft nationwide, so yeah... smaller.

Only messing with you. We have 1,000 sqft on you and a single 5ton 14 SEER in sunny Phoenix. I'd need ~20kW of PV (that won't fit on my roof) and 100kWh of battery to survive 24 hours of consumption in the heat of summer.

Glad to see you making it work. Our solution is to sell out when we retire and move up north... :p
Ha, see that’s the advantage of our little baby house, easier to keep cool ;)

You’ll move up north then complain about the winters lol!

Ha, see that’s the advantage of our little baby house, easier to keep cool ;)

You’ll move up north then complain about the winters lol!

It's not that far North... just about 17°F lower than Phoenix on the highs, but the lows are about 25°F lower than Phoenix, so it does get chilly.. and yeah... I might complain a little, but my wife will complain more.. :p

With the way you are running it, ie still effectively grid tied it wouldn't matter if it was a regular ac or mini split. If I could afford a hybrid I would do it that way too

With the way you are running it, ie still effectively grid tied it wouldn't matter if it was a regular ac or mini split
I simply mean overall efficiency, the splits are much more efficient resulting in less draw

I simply mean overall efficiency, the splits are much more efficient resulting in less draw
Oh, I see. Yeah it's kinda ridiculous how efficient minisplits are. My new house with mini splits, at almost 2x the size of the old house with regular ac, Uses about the same amount of electricity

Last edited:
I love my mini splits. 4000 sqft is hard enough to cool and we actually still don't cool the entire house. Every time I try pressing some other window or portable ac unit into service they quickly out consume what the mini splits use power wise.

Back