diy solar

diy solar

Main Fuse Size?

PaulLad

I assume that if my entire 48V system is wired with 12 ga wire and my largest component is a 20A CC, the main fuse (see pic) should be 20A. Is that correct? Thx!

Attachments

• website-design-solar-system-2_orig.jpg
    website-design-solar-system-2_orig.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 20
I went through and read your other post about your planned system.

A 500 watt inverter is to small. I don't know how you plan on using your "emergency back system), but 500 watts is only good for 3-5 LED lights.

A 500 watt inverter is to small. I don't know how you plan on using your "emergency back system), but 500 watts is only good for 3-5 LED lights.
No point in wasting your time responding because after making a statement like that, I won't pay any attention to anything you say.

Simple.

You said it's an emergency backup. So not for a Van Build.

Why build a 48v system when your AC power needs don't exceed 500 watts.

A residential refrigerator during defrost can consume between 200-500 watts.

800 Lumen LED 5-8 watts

QC3 USB charger 20-50 watts

Laptop 40-360 watts

You mean like this one:
LED bulbs typically have a higher VA (volt-amps) Watts isn't the best way to measure power demands of electronics.

Additionally most inverters are rated assuming a power factor of 1. Unless you have all resistive loads your PF won't be 1. Meaning that you inverter VA rating is the actual limit.

Quick explanation if you want.

Back to my 500 watts is to small.

I purchased and currently own 1,000 2,000 and 3,000 watt 12v inverters. I was just trying to prevent you from making the same mistake that I did.

I purchased and currently own 1,000 2,000 and 3,000 watt 12v inverters. I was just trying to prevent you from making the same mistake that I did.
That's cool but maybe you would consider asking what I'm powering with it first. All of my big appliances will be powered with propane.

Been down that road as well.

Ended up giving the 1,000 to the in laws with one battery. This way they can open the garage door, (heavy old wood door and the FiL is in his late 70's) They can also use it to keep the fridge running for a while, but not at the same time.

They have smaller batteries for charging the phones and such.

That's cool but maybe you would consider asking what I'm powering with it first. All of my big appliances will be powered with propane.
It seems clear you know what you need then and don't need or want any advice from those that have been down that road before.

All good.

It seems clear you know what you need then and don't need or want any advice from those that have been down that road before.

All good.
I've had a 1000 watt inverter for 4 years. Never have used more than 200 watts.

Back