diy solar

diy solar

Maine (Cold) Batteries

Oldtoad

Started out with FLA 6v Golf cart then switched to 6v AGM but notice that they give off gasses too.
It gets very cold up here, what works best in the cold but does not give off acid fumes? Also go to AZ in winter, so it could get hot too.
Or should I just go lithium and get heaters for them run off my Promaster's starting battery???

Last edited:
Are you looking for drop-in replacements (like a Battle Born for LFP), or are you willing to DIY the battery bank (maybe a candidate for LTO? - @Craig )?

Emailed Battleborn, considering them but the price is a bit steep.
What is LTO? Would consider doing it myself but buying a guarantee sounds better.
Just do not want acid fumes in my living space.

What is LTO?
Lithium Titanate - they can be charged in cold temps.

Started out with FLA 6v Golf cart then switched to 6v AGM but notice that they give off gasses too.
It gets very cold up here, what works best in the cold but does not give off acid fumes? Also go to AZ in winter, so it could get hot too.
Or should I just go lithium and get heaters for them run off my Promaster's starting battery???

Im in South Texas where today it will be 104 and in winter we were heavy jackets at 60 ... so take this with a grain of salt ... BUT - and I can't find the thread ... BUT i remember last year some guys were putting together like a Styrofoam cooler with a 12V heating pad in there AND a BMS low temp shutoff that basically used the solar panels to not only charge the battery BUT to keep the heater going ... I would think storing a LiFePO4 battery in an insulated container -- and running heat enough to keep it above 32 for charging would be not that hard -- of course I am just guessing ...

As for LTO batteries ... good chunk of money on those ...

Finally - I would avoid Battlehorn and make your own ... @Craig may be getting ready to do another mass purchase soon so might look at his threads...

Yes LTO would be the way to go they are not cheap on first purchase but due to their 30,000 cycle life they are actually cheaper in the end if you live long enough for 30,000 cycles. Its something like 82 years cycled once a day.

I have used mine in 1 operating system now for about 10 months with no problems at all. I also have another set in another system in place for 2 months with great success as well.

there are 2 types of LTO SCIB and yinlong both work the same

Im in South Texas where today it will be 104 and in winter we were heavy jackets at 60 ... so take this with a grain of salt ... BUT - and I can't find the thread ... BUT i remember last year some guys were putting together like a Styrofoam cooler with a 12V heating pad in there AND a BMS low temp shutoff that basically used the solar panels to not only charge the battery BUT to keep the heater going ... I would think storing a LiFePO4 battery in an insulated container -- and running heat enough to keep it above 32 for charging would be not that hard -- of course I am just guessing ...

As for LTO batteries ... good chunk of money on those ...

Finally - I would avoid Battlehorn and make your own ... @Craig may be getting ready to do another mass purchase soon so might look at his threads...
LOL I have 150 in my shop right now. Have not had a chance to list them on Ebay yet. Too busy testing EVE cells lol This burgeoning battery business is a lot of work.

Great stuff, thanks Mates.
Will be following along here.
Built my first little trailer setup 5 years ago, still great when I sold it. Have been building this Promaster solar sys over a year now, tech is developing so fast, I should just put it together and be done with it, just want to get it right...

diy solar

diy solar
Back