diy solar

diy solar

Making a Sol-ark 15k a 15k

DIYrich

Solar Wizard
Another thread got me thinking... the reason the Sol-Ark 15k is advertised as 12k off batteries is because it is limited to 275 amps off the battery, and they use a conservative 48v for the battery.

Instead of 16 cells, if you put 18 cells in series, you can deliver 15k and stay within the 63v limit for the battery input.

Any thoughts?

Also, with a rack battery, can I put a two 100 Amp cells in series with the rack to boost it up to 18 cells? I would run the battery as open loop (by voltage).

Is there a BMS capable of accepting 18 cell leads? Maybe see what the handful of a high voltage guys out there are using (MikeG on YouTube comes to mind).

I think it will take a surge up to 15Kw but I think it will probably only go to 14K maybe a tip over on continuous output.
A better and in most cases cheaper solution is to just use a low cost 51.2V 5Kw Inverter hooked into the same battery bank and AC couple it into the Sol-Ark 15K. That way you could get 17KW of power.

That's exactly what I would do. I have verified that the high voltage DC to low voltage DC converter can do 15kW+ so I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to invert 15kW from batteries only with an 18S LFP battery down to around 3.15-3.2V to cell.

63v is still 3.5v per cell, which is plenty to full charge.
I think it will take a surge up to 15Kw but I think it will probably only go to 14K maybe a tip over on continuous output.
A better and in most cases cheaper solution is to just use a low cost 51.2V 5Kw Inverter hooked into the same battery bank and AC couple it into the Sol-Ark 15K. That way you could get 17KW of power.
What's the reasoning for your skepticism at 14kw? Do you think the bus can't handle it?

Do you need to feed split-phase power into the 15k? Or can you feed in 240v no split? I have a pair of growatt 5ks that are not split phase I've been curious If I can use as AC-in to boost the 15k to quite a bit more :)

Do you need to feed split-phase power into the 15k? Or can you feed in 240v no split? I have a pair of growatt 5ks that are not split phase I've been curious If I can use as AC-in to boost the 15k to quite a bit more :)
I'm pretty sure it needs to be split phase

I would use Split Phase.

Very cool.

So SolArk isn't lying when they call it a 15k. It CAN output 15kW, but only when the battery is over 53.5v.
I think they got the 15k from "with solar" aspect.

also somewhat annoying, they still ship as 12k with solar, and you have to update the damn thing to get that 15k with solar unlocked.

Very cool.

So SolArk isn't lying when they call it a 15k. It CAN output 15kW, but only when the battery is over 53.5v.
Discharge is 275A continuous (for some reason the charge limit seems to be 5A higher). 15000/(275*0.95) = ~57.4V.

I think they got the 15k from "with solar" aspect.

also somewhat annoying, they still ship as 12k with solar, and you have to update the damn thing to get that 15k with solar unlocked.
That's surprising. Mine is still on 10-11 month old firmware and can hit all the limits fine.

That's surprising. Mine is still on 10-11 month old firmware and can hit all the limits fine.
Tbf, mine was literally a first day order. Mine drops out after 5 minutes at 13.4kw in full sun. The tech support said my fw version was too old

Very cool.

My 15K w/ batteries is part of the utilities Energy Storage Solutions program. The battery line takes the full 275 amps for 3 hours from 51.5v down to 50.5 v. About 14kw of battery energy. If the app is right, it is initially drawing 14.147kW from the battery and producing 13.097kW of AC (93% conversion rate).

If I can add two more batteries in series, that would boost the voltage to 57.9v, delivered power of 15.9kW, and produce 14.7kW of AC power. Add three batteries, and it should be at 61.2v at 267A to deliver 16.3kW to net 15.0kW.

If I can add two more batteries in series, that would boost the voltage to 57.9v,
How does adding batteries in series allow you to boost the voltage. I assume you are talking about battery voltage? What is your battery chemistry? My 16S LFP pack could charge to 58 volts but I limit it to a little over 55 volts which is 3.45 volts per cell.

How does adding batteries in series allow you to boost the voltage. I assume you are talking about battery voltage? What is your battery chemistry? My 16S LFP pack could charge to 58 volts but I limit it to a little over 55 volts which is 3.45 volts per cell.
He wants to make an 18s LiFePO4 pack, which will charge to 63v or 3.5v per cell.

diy solar

diy solar
Back