diy solar

diy solar

Manual transfer switches and all-in-one inverters

Gentleman Mike

I hooked up a Sungold 10 kw to my home to act as a battery backup and it has AC input from the main breaker panel for passthrough and charging.

The AC output goes to a gen inlet on a Reliance transfer switch because I wanted the ability to bypass the unit entirely if there is ever an issue with it.

Only later did I realize that the AC input and output neutrals actually get connected to each other in the main breaker since the switch doesn't isolate them and wonder if it's a problem.

Is this bad? The unit appears to work perfectly both in grid passthrough and inverter mode, but could this be a problem at some point?

Last edited:
I hooked up a Sungold 10 kw to my home to act as a battery backup and it has AC input from the main breaker panel for passthrough and charging.

The AC output goes to a gen inlet on a Reliance transfer switch because I wanted to the ability to bypass the unit entirely if there is ever an issue with it.

Only later did I realize that the AC input and output neutrals actually get connected to each other in the main breaker since the switch doesn't isolate them and wonder if it's a problem.

Is this bad? The unit appears to work perfectly both in grid passthrough and inverter mode, but could this a problem at some point?
I hope you get an answer. I believe your inverter may do the same thing tho... I think my inverter manual said that the in and out neutrals are connected. If this is the case then nothing to worry about. Hope someone else chimes in.

Yep, they are connected internally but I think they're typically used with the output feeding a sub panel, while a transfer switch makes kind of a loop through the main panel with neutral which doesn't happen on a sub panel.

If I try to think about potential current flow logically, it seems like it's okay, but I'm not a professional electrician or anything. I wouldn't think current from other circuits would try to flow through the loop?

Last edited:
Back