diy solar

diy solar

Multiple transfer switches on single gen inlet

mrgizmo

Hi all.
Started learning this solar business a few weeks ago.

TLDR - can I wire 2 separate transfer switches (like Reliance Controls 31406CWK) to one/same generator inlet box to power parts of both via Ecoflow Delta Pro + Extra Battery.

Longer version. My main electrical panel is in the back of the house and has breakers for rooms, bathrooms, heater, fridge, dish washer, washer/drier, it also has 40 amp breaker for ac and a 60 amp breaker for a garage subpanel. I connected a transfer switch to this main panel per attached pic and transferred rooms, fridge, washer/drier to it to run off Delta Pro which is charged by solar. As you can see the generator inlet is currently on this transfer switch, but I am moving it separately into the garage, about 60' run (via 6-4 wires and emt conduit) so I can move EF DP + EB also into the garage and out of the elements (transfer switch itself will stay where pictured next to main panel outside in the back of the house).

In the garage, the subpanel has breakers for microwave/oven, kitchen lights, few outlets in common area, wifi outlet, garbage disposal, few accent lights, exterior LED night lights, garage lights and outlets. I want to wire up a similar transfer switch to the garage subpanel to transfer wifi outlet, some lights and outlets to it. The transfer switch for the garage subpanel is not installed yet, as I'm researching this. And I'm wondering if I can wire that additional transfer switch for the garage subpanel into the generator inlet box that is powering the transfer switch for parts of the main panel. What I'm trying to do is transfer/power key lights and outlets from single EF DP+EB inlet in entire house, it just so happens that my house is wired in such a way that kitchen lights and other outlets are on the garage subpanel.

Additional details. I am trying to slowly move off of using electrical grid to power parts of the house "full time" from DP+EB and solar input. Lights in the house are LED, appliances are efficient (I am currently not planning on powering ac/microwave/oven, ie 240v, but might move to 2x EF DP with double voltage hub in fufure).

In my head, I think it should be doable to connect both transfer switches to the same inlet box properly crimping/pigtailing the wires and connections in the inlet box. It is not(?) different than if my main panel had all the separate breakers on it that are in the garage subpanel and I got a transfer switch that can handle 10-12 circuits? Obviously I won't be able to power everything at once, etc, etc. There might be some details that I'm missing due to the main/subpanel setup. I'm not an electrician :). Happy to learn, appreciate the help. 20231029_184815.jpg

What do you think?

It could be fine. Depending on how the transfer switches handle the neutrals.
It could create parallel neutrals between the panels. Which would be a problem.

It could be fine. Depending on how the transfer switches handle the neutrals.
It could create parallel neutrals between the panels. Which would be a problem.
Ok, where/how should this be wired correctly to avoid parallel problem? Or what info do I need from my main panel or subpanel? Neutrals is a bit unknown territory for me.

What I know is that main panel has the "shared" bus bar with neutrals and grounds and the transfer switch next to it that I installed in previous picture has the white neutral wire going to one side and green ground wire going to the other side of the panel, but again, connecting to virtually the same bar that extends on both sides.

Subpanel in garage I have not opened up to look inside yet, I can report what I find there.

Ok, where/how should this be wired correctly to avoid parallel problem? Or what info do I need from my main panel or subpanel? Neutrals is a bit unknown territory for me.

What I know is that main panel has the "shared" bus bar with neutrals and grounds and the transfer switch next to it that I installed in previous picture has the white neutral wire going to one side and green ground wire going to the other side of the panel, but again, connecting to virtually the same bar that extends on both sides.

Subpanel in garage I have not opened up to look inside yet, I can report what I find there.
It depends on how the transfer switch is connected.
Do the circuit hots and neutrals go through the transfer switch? Or is it just the hots, and a single neutral from the transfer switch to the panel?
If the later, this is a problem.

It depends on how the transfer switch is connected.
Do the circuit hots and neutrals go through the transfer switch? Or is it just the hots, and a single neutral from the transfer switch to the panel?
If the later, this is a problem.
Yeah there is only 1 white neutral wire for the entire transfer switch that connects to the panel, there is not a white neutral wire per each one of the 6 breakers in the transfer switch...

Is there a workaround to make 2 transfer switches work with 1 gen inlet? Rewire each breaker on the transfer switch to have it's own neutral (and would this be needed on both transfer switches or just one by main panel and not the one that would be by the subpanel)? And i believe garage subpanel has its own neutral bus bar. Side note, house is really old and there are a lot of double tapped neutrals in the main panel that I'm fixing by getting a longer neutral bus bar...

Appreicate your help.

Pic from instructions attached for 120v. 20231115_190234.jpg

There's not a really good way to solve the issue. With this type of transfer panel.
Because there is a neutral from each transfer panel to each electrical panel.
Which means that the feeder neutral for the sub panel and the generator neutral to each transfer panel will be in parallel with each other.

There's not a really good way to solve the issue. With this type of transfer panel.
Because there is a neutral from each transfer panel to each electrical panel.
Which means that the feeder neutral for the sub panel and the generator neutral to each transfer panel will be in parallel with each other.
Is there a different transfer panel to use or a different way of accomplishing what I am trying to do?

A regular 2 pole transfer switch by the main panel. That feeds a sub panel for the circuits you want to feed. And a second sub panel in the garage. Fed from the first new one. For the circuits you want to feed there.
That's the best way to feed circuits in two locations. From a single alternative power source.

A regular 2 pole transfer switch by the main panel. That feeds a sub panel for the circuits you want to feed. And a second sub panel in the garage. Fed from the first new one. For the circuits you want to feed there.
That's the best way to feed circuits in two locations. From a single alternative power source.Tim, to make sure I understand...

Tim, to make sure I understand when you are referring to transfer switch vs subpanel.

When you say "regular 2 pole transfer switch by the main panel" - are we talking about replacing the transfer switch I already wired to the main panel (showed in pic in above post) with a subpanel(? or what is a 2 pole transfer switch?) that will be wired by the main panel? Why is that a better solution vs the transfer switch I already wired? A 2 pole transfer switch (subpanel?) handles neutrals differently?

"That feeds a sub panel for the circuits you want to feed". Again is this talking about the transfer switch/subpanel by the main panel instead of the transfer switch i already installed? Or are we talking about the garage subpanel here? The subpanel that is in the garage is currently powered by a 60amp breaker in the main panel.

"And a second subpanel in the garage." Is this another subpanel that is wired to the subpanel in the garage? Is this the transfer switch (similar to what I wired to the main panel and showed in pic?) that will now be wired to the garage subpanel? Or is this still talking about the subpanel that is in the garage that is powered by the 60amp breaker from the main?

To come back to one of your previous questions about the neutral in the transfer switch, the neutral white wire is there only for the gen inlet plug and that connects to the neutral bus bar in the main panel, I don't see any other white wires in the transfer switch itself (see attached).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231116_171630_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20231116_171630_YouTube.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Tim, to make sure I understand when you are referring to transfer switch vs subpanel.

When you say "regular 2 pole transfer switch by the main panel" - are we talking about replacing the transfer switch I already wired to the main panel (showed in pic in above post) with a subpanel(? or what is a 2 pole transfer switch?) that will be wired by the main panel? Why is that a better solution vs the transfer switch I already wired? A 2 pole transfer switch (subpanel?) handles neutrals differently?

"That feeds a sub panel for the circuits you want to feed". Again is this talking about the transfer switch/subpanel by the main panel instead of the transfer switch i already installed? Or are we talking about the garage subpanel here? The subpanel that is in the garage is currently powered by a 60amp breaker in the main panel.

"And a second subpanel in the garage." Is this another subpanel that is wired to the subpanel in the garage? Is this the transfer switch (similar to what I wired to the main panel and showed in pic?) that will now be wired to the garage subpanel? Or is this still talking about the subpanel that is in the garage that is powered by the 60amp breaker from the main?

To come back to one of your previous questions about the neutral in the transfer switch, the neutral white wire is there only for the gen inlet plug and that connects to the neutral bus bar in the main panel, I don't see any other white wires in the transfer switch itself (see attached).
What you currently have (transfer panel) will not work for two locations.
What I am proposing is a transfer switch (similar to a disconnect. But has 3 positions on #1, off, on #2) beside the main panel.
This switch receives two inputs (utility and generator), and selects which one it outputs. The new transfer switch will feed a new (critical loads panel #1) sub panel. Beside the transfer switch. Then, from this new sub panel. You will feed a second new (critical loads panel #2) sub panel in the garage. All loads that you want to power from the alternative power supply. Will be relocated to the new sub panels.

Back