diy solar

diy solar

marine vs residential AC breaker panel

Yol Bolsun

is there anything other than motion stability that really differentiates marine and residential ac panels/breakers ?

Are residential units adequate for a conversion van?

From my experience the marine panels are designed for stranded wire with ring terminals. They don’t work well with solid wire. Many RV’s come wired with solid wire.

I have always used residential panels in the systems with solid wire, and marine for stranded.

is there anything other than motion stability that really differentiates marine and residential ac panels/breakers ?

My guess would be, marine panels don’t allow aluminum bussbars, so normal breaker panels need to be tinned copper design, or strip breakers...

In a van, I suppose residential panels would work, but they are large for the number of circuits...

I am wiring a van as well. I read to avoid solid core wire and only use stranded. I am using both. What are the negative aspects of using solid core in a van?

Solid Core wires is generally frowned upon for ANY mobile application where vibration and movement are a constant. The simplest point of it is the lack of flexibility which can become a problem. A house doesn't move and attachment / routing of wires is secured and there are no "sharps". A moving vehicle where wire is routed through conduits, chaseways etc, they have to be secured to prevent friction and movement but still allowed to flex itself. If using stranded wires with certain types of Breaker Panels, the use of ferrules. The ferrules must be matched in size to the wire and should be properly crimped on for a secure & solid connection. Some Panel types allow for stranded without ferrules but I haven't seen any in years.

20170503_142704.jpg

Hope it helps, Good Luck
Steve

diy solar

diy solar
Back