diy solar

diy solar

Massive Texas power outage

In no way diminishing the gravity of the storms....
I hope everyone is fine.

American English makes up new words you hear but often don't see..
I have heard people on TV say " Y'all " but I don't think I ever have seen it typed out .

Cool...
It rolls off the tong nice and its a two letter word!
Ял...
I'm going to through that into an email to a relative and see how she reacts too it.
That Y'all in Cyrillic text...

Its a nice contraction of the word and you would be surprised how many borrow words work their way into non English speakers daily lives.
Like Hi or stop...
Here's what a Ukrainian stop sign says...
View attachment 215962

literally just stop...

Next time you fumble with spelling, and I do it all the time think about borrow words.
How many are actually foreign words we have adopted a long with our version of their spelling...
Sorry for being off topic
I guess it's a southern thing. In a related note, my wife, who is from Kentucky uses that term, it's "y'uns", as you-uns. I'm from OK, so I've never heard of it until she mentioned it, so I had to ask her what are you talking about??

American English can have many different regional dialects and vocabularies. I've learned lots of new words since we moved here in the Appalachian Foothills.

Yeah, I imagine that stop sign would translate into gibberish in literal Ukrainian (or Russian).

I study languages as a hobby, and I find it all very interesting. I have a basic knowledge of German, French and Spanish. Meaning, I can read it a lot better than speak it. Most Europeans learn several languages in school, I wish that was emphasized here. I took two years of Latin and a year of French in high school, but I hardly remember any Latin, as there wasn't a real reason to. But I still remember quite a bit of French.

I had a teacher from Germany in high school.
He saw me struggled with English spelling ( I am Canadian born here learned English from birth and it is my mother tong I just struggled a lot ).
A long with learning to play chess with him he use Latin to pick apart words and explain to me how they bolted the letters together.
He also introduced me to different spellings using archaic Latin letters we don't use in modern English but are used in German or Polish and their variants in other related languages with borrow words....
It was complicated but I began to understand the spelling with some of his tricks.
I still struggle and I flip letters and numbers but I'm much better...

I think this is from Us declaration of independents?
1715959172263.jpeg
Congress spelled with archaic long S ( also still used in German in a mmore modern type set )
My name has two "SS" in it and he told me in its old spelling it would have used a long S

OK way off topic and now I am hijacking so sorry about that OP...

I had a teacher from Germany in high school.
He saw me struggled with English spelling ( I am Canadian born here learned English from birth and it is my mother tong I just struggled a lot ).
A long with learning to play chess with him he use Latin to pick apart words and explain to me how they bolted the letters together.
He also introduced me to different spellings using archaic Latin letters we don't use in modern English but are used in German or Polish and their variants in other related languages with borrow words....
It was complicated but I began to understand the spelling with some of his tricks.
I still struggle and I flip letters and numbers but I'm much better...

I think this is from Us declaration of independents?
View attachment 215972
Congress spelled with archaic long S ( also still used in German in a mmore modern type set )
My name has two "SS" in it and he told me in its old spelling it would have used a long S

OK way off topic and now I am hijacking so sorry about that OP...
It's my thread, so I don't care about derailments.

Yeah, that F in those old documents can confuse us modern folks. I think German was considered as the official language of the new United States, but English won out. But I could be mistaken.

A double S in German usually gets transcribed as an "ß", whereas one S is "s". For example if you wanted to call someone a "poop head" in German, you would say, or spell, "Scheißkopf"..

I got interested in German because my grandmother was 100% German and would often scold me and my sister when we were kids in her native language. That was over 50 years ago, and I didn't remember what she said, but she might've ignited my interest in languages.

Last edited:
Ya I can read that lol
Rolls off the old tong nice.
Germans make a lot of interesting compounded words that work their way back into English like Doppelganger.

The head part of this has the ---Long L and its generally silent but indicates a long O or A after the letter---
( same expression but I never heard anyone say shite head in polish before, they usually go for the genitalia when swearing. I am particularly fond of " son of a Kurwa lol"... )
( thank you Mr Google translator for help with the characters in the following sentence... )
A fecal matter headed human...
Ludzka Gówniana Głowa
1715961678939.jpeg
That's another oddity in English
With a few exceptions we like to for the stuff that comes out of or is related to the back side of barn animals after we are done with F word..
Other people like to go straight your ancestry and insult your mom ect.

Swearing is magic lol
Its good for you reduces blood pressure.

Last edited:
It's my thread, so I don't care about derailments.

Yeah, that F in those old documents can confuse us modern folks. I think German was considered as the official language of the new United States, but English won out. But I could be mistaken.

A double S in German usually gets transcribed as an "ß", whereas one S is "s". For example if you wanted to call someone a "poop head" in German, you would say, or spell, "Scheißkopf"..

I got interested in German because my grandmother was 100% German and would often scold me and my sister when we were kids in her native language. That was over 50 years ago, and I didn't remember what she said, but she might've ignited my interest in languages.
Uh, nope. We were a British colony back in the day. Read the history of Jamestown, Charleston, and "New England". Many Germans immigrated here back in the day, which is the reason there are so many Amish Menonites.

France owned much of the midwest near New Orleans. Jefferson bought it from them, but its the reason they have a french dialect(same with Eastern Canada. Western Canada is mostly British, but becoming very Asian now).

I am half German, as my dad immigrated here as a child before WW2. My Grandma scolded me in a similar manner as yours. My grandpa was VERY strict. He told stories of WW1 where German soldiers would bath in frozen streams. He said " Unt Zeez were MEN!

As for the power outage in Texas, my sister in law lives in Houston by China Town. They have power as of an hour ago.

Ya I can read that lol
Rolls off the old tong nice.
Germans make a lot of interesting compounded words that work their way back into English like Doppelganger.

The head part of this has the ---Long L and its generally silent but indicates a long O or A after the letter---
( same expression but I never heard anyone say shite head in polish before, they usually go for the genitalia when swearing. I am particularly fond of " son of a Kurwa lol"... )
( thank you Mr Google translator for help with the characters in the following sentence... )
A fecal matter headed human...
Ludzka Gówniana Głowa
View attachment 215984
That's another oddity in English
With a few exceptions we like to for the stuff that comes out of or is related to the back side of barn animals after we are done with F word..
Other people like to go straight your ancestry and insult your mom ect.

Swearing is magic lol
Its good for you reduces blood pressure.
Yeah I've told my wife that I can curse in 5 languages, much to her chagrin. I think a lot of folks who learn new languages want to know the dirty words..

English is technically a German language, but is an amalgamation of German, French, Greek, Latin, etc. It can be very confusing to a non native speaker because of its weird rules.

Far Eastern languages like Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, etc, work with different vowel sounds, so altho it can be spelled the same, the vowel sound changes the meaning entirely.

Last edited:
Up in the Dakotas they use 'Ya Ya' a lot ... lots of swedish and nordic influences.
I'm a big fan of Fargo the movie. A few of my northern relatives thought it made the locals out to be country bumkins, but hey in the end they figured out the crime. I like the scene where two locals in their hooded parkas are looking around and speculating about the coming weather. "Ya, Ya, it looks like we're in for a blow."

I'm a native of Mankato. Far enough back my family comes from Welcome. I'm a descendant of the founder, Alfred Welcome. My parents moved to CA when I was young. My dad said if he never had to shovel snow again in his life, that was OK.

I'm a big fan of Fargo the movie. A few of my northern relatives thought it made the locals out to be country bumkins, but hey in the end they figured out the crime. I like the scene where two locals in their hooded parkas are looking around and speculating about the coming weather. "Ya, Ya, it looks like we're in for a blow."

I'm a native of Mankato. Far enough back my family comes from Welcome. I'm a descendant of the founder, Alfred Welcome. My parents moved to CA when I was young. My dad said if he never had to shovel snow again in his life, that was OK.

Ha, I never finished the movie, About 20 minutes in I turned it off everytime I try it.

I have a friend that lives an hour outside Fargo and she talks the way the movie is, but less... the does the Ya Ya a few times a converstation verse constantly.

Ha, I never finished the movie, About 20 minutes in I turned it off everytime I try it.
Well, it's not like Deliverance was very kind in how it portrayed Southerners. The worst people in the Fargo movie were the criminals. They didn't have the regional accent. These regional accents can persist in a population for quite sometime even when people move to another area. Oroville, CA had a very pronounced Oklahoma accent still in the 1980s due to all the migration to that area during the 1930s dust bowl. I'm not sure how it is now, but I went college at Chico State back in the mid 1980s.

From a post on another site.

IMG-20240516-220116.jpg

FB-IMG-1715907070285.jpg
Dang That’s going to be a minute to fix.

Yeah I've told my wife that I can curse in 5 languages, much to her chagrin. I think a lot of folks who learn new languages want to know the dirty words..

English is technically a German language, but is an amalgamation of German, French, Greek, Latin, etc. It can be very confusing to a non native speaker because of its weird rules.

Far Eastern languages like Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, etc, work with different vowel sounds, so altho it can be spelled the same, the vowel sound changes the meaning entirely.
English is a romance language along with Portuguese , French, Spanish, Romanian and Italian.They all come from Latin. My Latin teacher beat that into my head and I can hear him wince if it was said any other way. lol Carry on.

Power company is saying we may not get grid power back until Sunday.

There is a tree down -- blocking our street -- that has some of the power lines pinned under it. I saw at least 2 poles bent over pretty far but I don't know if any poles were broken. I saw 2, possibly 3 houses where the lines from the street are under downed trees.

I loaned our gas generator to a neighbor but may have to get it back for a couple of hours if the sun doesn't come out tomorrow.
IMG_3685.jpg

There is a tree down -- blocking our street -- that has some of the power lines pinned under it. I saw at least 2 poles bent over pretty far but I don't know if any poles were broken. I saw 2, possibly 3 houses where the lines from the street are under downed trees.

I loaned our gas generator to a neighbor but may have to get it back for a couple of hours if the sun doesn't come out tomorrow.
View attachment 216052
Hard to tell from picture but lines don’t look broken.
Perhaps removing the tree and re-tensioning will do the job.

English is a romance language
Sorry to burst your teacher's bubble, but he's incorrect.Your teacher's mental beatings were based on misinformation.

From Wikipedia-

English is an Indo-European language and belongs to the West Germanic group of the Germanic languages.[16] Old English originated from a Germanic tribal and linguistic continuum along the Frisian North Sea coast, whose languages gradually evolved into the Anglic languages in the British Isles, and into the Frisian languages and Low German/Low Saxon on the continent.

Sure it has Latin influences, along with Greek, but its origins are Germanic. French, Spanish, Italian, Romanian, and Portuguese are definitely Romance languages, but not English.

View attachment 216052
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll get enough sun tomorrow to recharge your batts. We've had drizzle and now rain just about all day, but somehow our bank got topped off.

Still over a half million without grid power in the Houston area.

Back