diy solar

diy solar

Mastervolt 12/3000/160 Combimaster Inverter charge settings with SOK 206ah batteries

ferros

I recently bought 4 206ah 12v SOK LiFePO4 batteries and want to replace my 2 100ah 12volt Battleborns. I'm wondering if I can just keep the default Li-ion settings or should go with another default setting.
mastervolt-default-charge-settings.jpg

Here are battleborns charging specs:
battle-born-settings.jpg

SOK webiste for the battery: https://www.us.sokbattery.com/product-page/12v-206ah-lifepo4-lithium-iron-phosphate-battery-pack

But current connected website has some more specific that might suggest that I need to be more specific. https://www.currentconnected.com/product/sok-sk12v206-lifepo4-battery/
Is there a downside to where I could damage the battery with these default settings or will I just not be efficent until I can make manual changes. Mastervolt requires the purchase of a $200 "connector" to update the charge settings, but just want to see if I can put in these new batteries and get the charge settings figured out later.

So I sent an email to SOK and they responded that I should use the AGM setting and when I asked about a downside to doing so they just said "No worry, AGM setting good enough".

SOK suggesting to use a float of 13.8 on a 12v nominal lithium battery is not good advice. Float should be at resting voltage 13.4 to 13.5 volts.
Use the Li-ion setting.
SOK batteries often have unbalanced cells and 14.25 volts charge may be high enough to trigger BMS high cell volts protection.
Try the litium pre set and see how things work out.

Out of interest why are you replacing the Battleborns?

Mike

SOK suggesting to use a float of 13.8 on a 12v nominal lithium battery is not good advice. Float should be at resting voltage 13.4 to 13.5 volts.
Use the Li-ion setting.
SOK batteries often have unbalanced cells and 14.25 volts charge may be high enough to trigger BMS high cell volts protection.
Try the litium pre set and see how things work out.

Out of interest why are you replacing the Battleborns?

Mike
I live in the PNW and don't get much solar out here so I wanted to add capacity for boondocking on my RV. with the 4x SOK i get 824ah with essentially the same feature set but for 4k. 3x 270 Battleborn Gamechangers would cost me 7.5k. Also hoping to sell the 100ah battleborns as they are only a year old with a few cycles through them to offset that 4k even more.

I normally run float at 13.6v and bulk anywhere from 14v-14.4v, depending on application.

Lifepo4 is essentially full at 13.4v. The tiny bit you get by charging to 100% from 99% isn't worth the risk of bloating the cells with all the extra voltage in my experience.

Unless you need every last electron out of a lithium, stop them a little short on each end and double/triple their cycle life.

Back