diy solar

diy solar

'Maximum AC Charge Current' - what sixe generator

LeoNZ

MustPower Pv1800 Hybrid Inverter

'Maximum AC Charge Current' - can be set to 30A or 60A.

I have 48V 100A/h of battery.

If 'Maximum AC Charge Current' refers to the charge into the battery then 30A max by 48V is 1500W and a small generator will do. I want to buy one of those.

If 'Maximum AC Charge Current' refers to 30A by 230V then that is 7kW and I need to know what happens if I try to supply that with a small generator.

Does anyone know what 'Maximum AC Charge Current' is referring to exactly- the DC current into batteries or the AC current used?

Does anyone know what happens to a small generator if the inverter wants more current than it can supply?

Thanks in advance

I can't say for certain on your model, but every Chinese made Voltronics-type (Growatt, MPP Solar, etc.) means battery voltage.

If you link the manual, you might get a definitive answer.

Something to consider is that NO inverter/charger can invert AND charge at the same time. When connected to an AC source, your inverter/charger is using the incoming AC to power loads and charge. As a result, most inverter/chargers specify a generator capable of 30-50% MORE power than the inverter's rated power.

In other words, if your charge power+loads exceed your generator, you will overload your generator.

Yes and the battery may charge closer to 58 volts x 30 amps 1740 watts. Efficiency losses may need 30% more power. Input power is always more than output power. Most inverters are power factor corrected but still may need 5%+ additional apparent power. Closer to 2200 to 2500 watts rated power is the minimum.

For a smaller generator such as Yamaha 2000 or Honda 2200 could end up with a separate charger if they overload using the inverter.

Only way to know the minimum would be to give it a try. Maybe look for a rental and see what goes.

For a 5kWh battery, you don't want to charge faster than 1kw, plus whatever for loads. I assume you have a 1,800 watt inverter, so that means 2,800 watts. Plus a factor for generator load and efficiency.

I would get a Chargeverter, and change the batteries directly. A 4kw generator should work.

Back