diy solar

diy solar

Baffling Multiplus / Generator behavior

RoadTurtle

Solar Enthusiast
Generator 2500 surge 2200w running, eco is turned off. Multiplus II 2x 120v

Currently at 6,000 feet

Limited inbound to 16a, which proved to be too much for the generator at this elevation. Also running air conditioner. Lowered to 12a, and this is where I start getting confused. At 12a, my inbound power was showing 890w, and the AC was running. Clearly in negative territory. Bumped the current to 14a, and nothing changed.

AC was satisfied, generator stayed at 890w, feeding excess current to charging battery.

AC started back up again, generator still at 890w.

AC satisfied again, but this time the generator spooled up to 1550w as the AC unit shut down with most of the energy going to charge the batteries?

Further AC cycles, Generator stayed in the 1550w range, never reducing back down again.

Why didn't MP initially pull maximum amps, and what triggered the change? Nothing else in the load changed other than AC cycling as I expected?

You may have been right around the load where the Power Assist setting (default is 2, I think) was kicking in. I've noticed this type of behavior before when I was on the edge of 50% of the configured AC amperage limit.

You may have been right around the load where the Power Assist setting (default is 2, I think) was kicking in. I've noticed this type of behavior before when I was on the edge of 50% of the configured AC amperage limit.
that went way over my head.

Back