diy solar

diy solar

Fluctuating demand on generator

RoadTurtle

Solar Enthusiast
Well, I thought I had a mixed energy supply plan... not working so good.

Generator is Westinghouse 2500 - 2200w running, power limited to 18a, or less.

I know I can run my main 15k AC just off of battery, for about 5 hours, 600ah battery bank. Actually had both AC's running with generator for a period of time, until everything started falling apart. I may have an issue with the main AC unit, completely separate from the power issue, compressor is randomly shutting down. It just started that nonsense on shower power a couple of days ago.

When hooked to shore power in the rear (not part of MP II 2x), generator wasn't surging. When hooked to front inlet (MP II), it's surging. Two inlets are separated with a ATS.

I think I need to rethink the small generator and step up to a bigger unit.

Is there anyway to turn off the battery charger on the MP II?

IT was previously suggested I turn off the UPS on the MP II... where do I find that setting, and what is it?

Why is the power draw fluctuating? Right now I have inlet power set at 12a and it's still surging. Most of the energy is flowing into the battery in bulk mode. I did finally get it somewhat stabilized on 16a once the sun went down

Another interesting point, sometimes the inbound power would drop to 1100ish watts for like 30 minutes, and then it would scroll back up again

If it runs fine off batteries, why not charge batteries with your generator?
I was pushing the system using more than the inverter by itself could supply, but generator with inverter could easily handle, but it wanted to also charge batteries. If could somehow shut off the charging, I think things would have been running a lot better.

Back