diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 12k: can I have generator only charge batteries without also providing load?

YAMLcase

I've got a beefy Westinghouse portable generator that is more than enough to handle our load and charge at the same time. However, one small issue: when the generator runs some of our non-dimmable LED lights flicker like crazy and our UPSes glitch out. My research brought me to the fluctuating frequency on a portable genie, and indeed I've measured it bouncing around 65hz.

So two options I can think of:
1. Have the gennie only charge the batteries and run off the batteries solely.
2. Add a device to "clean up" the power coming out of the generator. Something that can handle up to 240v 50A

A generator connected to the Grid or Gen terminals must power the loads. Others that have experienced this problem connect the generator to a battery charger connected to the battery.

EG4 Chargeverter connected to your Gen and to the battery bank.
Just charging. The inverter will run the loads as usual.
What I am doing basically only I am using the grid as my Gen.

Last edited:
I use another inverter for charging from generator because it can push more amps to battery than chargverter. Led light flicker I did not like either. Hard on electronics. You can see my signature videos if you turn your phone sideways.

EG4 Chargeverter connected to your Gen and to the battery bank.
Just charging. The inverter will run to loads as usual.
What I am doing basically only I am using the grid as my Gen.
Chargeverter runs 5kW and 30a. OP wants a 50a capable solution-probably 8kw+.

Though for a “beefy” Westinghouse that can produce 50a, it’s still a portable and shouldn’t be run at max continuously (portables aren’t meant for continuous use at their maximum ratings) maxing out the Chargeverter at 5kW and 30a might be the right way to operate that portable.

Though for a “beefy” Westinghouse that can produce 50a, it’s still a portable and shouldn’t be run at max continuously (portables aren’t meant for continuous use at their maximum ratings) maxing out the Chargeverter at 5kW and 30a might be the right way to operate that portable.
If he is talking about the Westinghouse Wgen20000, then he has a lot of room the spare even charging at 12kw

He can buy 2 and run them in parallel, as I do. I got 2 operational with a 3rd as a shelf backup in case something happens.
So my 2 in operation gives me max ceiling of 10.000w.
I got 3-phase so I could if I needed it also connect my 3rd but atm. I do not need the extra charging.
It is comforting to know that I have a spare part on the shelf if I need it.

Pictures in this thread:

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/l...-edit-bought-eg4-chargeverter-pictures.67365/

Last edited:
Btw. Pro tip regd. the mounting of the Chargeverter: The intake of air is on the left side and the exhaust is on the right.
To lower the temp a little bit in the chassis I will rotate them to vertical instead of horisontal so the hot air will escape easier straight up instead of sideways.

Intriguing.

So, Instead of plugging the 240v AC into the GEN port on the Sol-Ark, I would plug it into this chargeverter and that plugs into the 48v DC parallel bars?

Is there some auto start/stop feature since I probably won't be able to to use the Sol-Ark feature?

A generator connected to the Grid or Gen terminals must power the loads. Others that have experienced this problem connect the generator to a battery charger connected to the battery.
Are you saying if it’s not powering loads it cannot charge the battery, but if there is some load, then it can charge the battery?

Are you saying if it’s not powering loads it cannot charge the battery, but if there is some load, then it can charge the battery?
It's how the Sol-Ark is wired. Both Grid and Gen terminals land on the load terminals when connected by their respective transfer relays.
SolArk 15k Inverter power paths.png

Back