diy solar

diy solar

Looking for advanced grid to battery charger. EDIT: bought EG4 Chargeverter. Pictures.

LydMekk

Call me Icarus
Due to wanting to eliminate local grid noise and instability (incl. very variable volt level) I do not want my grid connected through the inverters all the time. I need to ensure a 230V stable net in my house at all times, also due to a sizeable amount of IT equipment and audio gear.
Which during summer works splendidly by just turning off the input fuses.
During the winter half though one needs battery charging sometimes during bad weather etc.
I want to set up an advanced battery charger with is software controlled, either by an app, PC, BT etc.

Victron f.ex. has a model called Skylla but it is controlled only by potmeters and dipswitches, not any software control.

Need to be able to control volt levels WHEN it shall start charging and when to stop. Setable amp levels etc.
Other timers etc.
Will be connected straight from the grid to the battery bank. Either single or 3-phase.

Anyone who has experience with brands/models which can be suitable for my needs?
Links?

This is how I set up my system.
You of course can choose the settings that would work for you.
When my batteries get down to 48v. The dry contacts in one of my AIO's turns on a relay for the grid AC input for a chargeverter. The chargeverter is set to provide 48v and up to 100a. So it floats the batteries at 48v. And just provides the required amps to cover the loads.
When the sun comes up and starts charging the batteries. The chargeverter just sits idle. Because the voltage is above its 48v setting.
When the battery voltage reaches 50v. The dry contacts turn off the chargeverters AC input.
All settings are adjustable, these are just the settings I wanted.

When my batteries get down to 48v. The dry contacts in one of my AIO's turns on a relay for the grid AC input for a chargeverter. The chargeverter is set to provide 48v and up to 100a. So it floats the batteries at 48v. And just provides the required amps to cover the loads.
When the sun comes up and starts charging the batteries. The chargeverter just sits idle. Because the voltage is above its 48v setting.
When the battery voltage reaches 50v. The dry contacts turn off the chargeverters AC input.
Interesting feature/function. Nice info for later.

Interesting feature/function. Nice info for later.
The best part is that the dry contacts can be configured in many ways.
Based on Soc, voltage, or times.
Basically, whenever you would want to use a generator. You can configure the grid as your generator.

Due to wanting to eliminate local grid noise and instability (incl. very variable volt level) I do not want my grid connected through the inverters all the time. I need to ensure a 230V stable net in my house at all times, also due to a sizeable amount of IT equipment and audio gear.
Which during summer works splendidly by just turning off the input fuses.
During the winter half though one needs battery charging sometimes during bad weather etc.
I want to set up an advanced battery charger with is software controlled, either by an app, PC, BT etc.

Victron f.ex. has a model called Skylla but it is controlled only by potmeters and dipswitches, not any software control.

Need to be able to control volt levels WHEN it shall start charging and when to stop. Setable amp levels etc.
Other timers etc.
Will be connected straight from the grid to the battery bank. Either single or 3-phase.

Anyone who has experience with brands/models which can be suitable for my needs?
Links?
I’ve done this with my Victron Multiplus 2 5kVA inverters. I run off batteries till I reach a certain SOC, then the AC In relay closes and the Multiplus runs off AC till the SOC rises to a set level.

Solar charge controller to charge batteries.

AC battery charger (one or more chargverters) to supply dc power to charge batteries when low and no pv.

Inverter to run loads from battery.

Basically a double conversion UPS with solar charging. Completely isolates you from grid noise.

Use whatever software and smart plugs to control when the chargeverters turn on/off to charge batteries. Simple would be to maintain batteries between 20-30%, until solar can recharge. More complex for time of use rates to charge up when rates are low. Multiple chargeverters can be used to provide some Amp control.

DIY alternative to chargeverter:
Thread 'DIY 'Chargenectifier'' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/diy-chargenectifier.56329/

Last edited:

Looking to do something similar but I don't have dry contacts on the Deyes.
The only relay is a 230V GEN open/close. I can also redirect the GEN to the grid input, not that it helps for this I think.
Therefore I feel it could be better to use an external charger which is autonome in that it contains all settings and menus/level settings it needs for it self.

Other option is permanently set up a grid to battery charger and let it be on at all times but only let it charge at 48V and no more just to be a tender to avoid the batteries going below 20% (15S). Higher charging will only be done from the PV during sunshine.

I’ve done this with my Victron Multiplus 2 5kVA inverters. I run off batteries till I reach a certain SOC, then the AC In relay closes and the Multiplus runs off AC till the SOC rises to a set level.

Cool. The issue with the Deyes is that it closes the GRID relay at once the grid is detected and then forces such as voltage level etc. from the grid instead of the clean, nice 230V battery kept level.

Can I beseech you to put a short YT video up explaining and showing your Victron based charging setup specifically?
I've subbed since a year to your channel.
In worst case I can buy a small Victron to only do the charging...only grid and battery output connected ^^.

Other option is permanently set up a grid to battery charger and let it be on at all times but only let it charge at 48V and no more just to be a tender to avoid the batteries going below 20% (15S). Higher charging will only be done from the PV during sunshine.
This is what I was doing, before I used the dry contacts. I just didn't like hearing the fan running all of the time.
You could control the charger input relay independently. With a battery voltage monitor/relay.

Cool. The issue with the Deyes is that it closes the GRID relay at once the grid is detected and then forces such as voltage level etc. from the grid instead of the clean, nice 230V battery kept level.

Can I beseech you to put a short YT video up explaining and showing your Victron based charging setup specifically?
I've subbed since a year to your channel.
In worst case I can buy a small Victron to only do the charging...only grid and battery output connected ^^.
The Victron Multiplus inverters are designed for mobile/marine applications where your running off battery power till you plug in to “shore power” and as soon as you do, the inverter automatically switches to shore power.

Since I’m in a stationary environment, I don’t want it to work that way. So I found out how to ignore the AC input on the inverter (it actually seems like there’s quite a few ways to do this, I’ve tested 3 so far).

I did talk about one way you can do this in this video. Hopefully it links to the proper time. If not, go to 16:19.

Thx buddy. Watched it now.
The Victron seems more configurable than my Deyes in these regards.
It is much this I want to do, either configwise or manually.
As you I don't want the grid input active as default.

@timselectric

Sent an email to EG4 asking for a shipping quote for the Chargeverter. Will see what they say ^^.
I am not seeing anything like it in the EU markets. It has 90-264V range so it should be usable.

Victron Skylla-TG f.ex. turns out is just under 2000 Euro here, insane.

Do you know how much the EG4 draws by just being turned on and not charging anything?

@timselectric

Sent an email to EG4 asking for a shipping quote for the Chargeverter. Will see what they say ^^.
I am not seeing anything like it in the EU markets. It has 90-264V range so it should be usable.

Victron Skylla-TG f.ex. turns out is just under 2000 Euro here, insane.

Do you know how much the EG4 draws by just being turned on and not charging anything?
I don't remember exactly. But it's very low.
Like 1 watt from the DC side. And 7 watts if the AC side is powered.

Installed one Chargeverter today. Pictures below. Only thing I am complaining about is the constantly running fan...haven't they heard about thermostats or a temp sensor? WTF?

20231118_115104.jpg

20231118_115111.jpg

20231118_115122.jpg

20231118_115127.jpg

20231118_172421.jpg

20231118_172426.jpg

Fortunately it's in the basement so noone hears it normally.
Do the CV retain the settings (volts and amps) in some sort of memory even if the grid supply has been off via a relay?
(Not sure if I've asked that before ^^)

Last edited:
Fortunately it's in the basement so noone hears it normally.
Do the CV retain the settings (volts and amps) in some sort of memory even if the grid supply has been off via a relay?
(Not sure if I've asked that before ^^)
It keeps the settings, yes.

Back