diy solar

diy solar

MAXOAK Bluetti AC50 & AC50S

ozpower

Let's discuss and share knowledge about these small generators.

Last edited:
I end up purchasing two HQST-100D-SSP 100W panels. It was a sunny winter day and the best I could get from each was 83W. When connected in parallel MAXOAK/Bluetti AC50 charged at 133W.

I did some testing charging the generator using a power supply. Here are the results:
Voltage14.214.414.714.915.115.3
Watts102040606883

At 15.3V & 83W I hit the limit of the power supply. It looks like AC50 likes higher voltage so connecting couple of panels in series can be better. Make sure the input voltage does not exceed 40V.

I thought the input was limited to 125w but, if your getting 133w and it's passing the smoke test then good for you. Thanks for sharing.

For charging, it uses 7909 connector, which means two diameters. The larger connector diameter is 7.9mm and the pin in the middle is 0.9mm. For the 10Amp rating printed on the back of AC50, that seems quite small for the pin. Is it even possible to charge AC50 at 10Amps?

I found this source of 7909 connectors.

I would like to make a backup cable with thicker wires than the original. Anyone found a good quality beefy 7909 connector?

Ive been wondering about better cables and parts to customize my own harnesses. I come from a Goal Zero that took almost all 8mm input cables without a problem but my new AC50S seems to use 3 wire cables to the DC7909 or 8mm. Inside is positive and so is the center pin. My hacked 8mm cables for my GZ, an Igreeley and fabrications with MC4 and Anderson PP don't seem to work on the Bluetti.

Anyone found a DC7909 or 8mm that allows for jumping with power the center pin ? All my press fabbed 8mm cables are just 2 wire...

thanks.

AC50S and AC50 use a DC power for charging. It means, that these generators have one positive and one negative contact point utilizing DC-7909 connectors. It means that only 2 wires are needed.

Can you clarify where do you see 3 wires?

Oz, much thanks for your reply. I figuratively say 3 wire, but when i test the OEM vs my fabbed cables and my GZ compatible cables I see that the center pin on the Bluetti's are powered where my iGreeley and GZ cables all work just fine on my GZ Extreme. I suspect if not 3 wire, that the connectors are 'shunted' from the inside shell with the center pin. I have a half dozen various dc7909 or 8mm and they all have null on the center pin.
It would be great to have an alternate source if the wiring from what seen on the forum is non standard as it is.
Much thanks.

Wiring of DC7909 connectors in case of AC50S and AC50 is standard. The middle 0.9mm pin is positive, connected to the positive wire/MC4 connector. The outer larger 7.9mm rounded part of the connector is negative, connected to the negative wire/MC4 connector.

Oz, thanks for your info. I re tested all my 8mm connector and only the Bluetti ones have hot center pins.
Other than from Bluetti any sources for 8mm connectors that have hot center pins ?

I'm presumingI may have to test my 12vdc cig to 8mm in the truck with the engine running to see what the voltage outputs (maybe at 12v its not enough for the AC50S). I guess I have more testing to do.... between my GZ and new AC50S

What alerted me to this was Zilchs' post to Randy ....

Back