diy solar

diy solar

Maxwell 3000f ultra caacpitors

mjmckaie

Question on Maxwell ultra capacitors: Can they be used to start a gas car without a hybrid battery? Many YouTube videos demonstrate this works.

You can use capacitors alone to start a car. The problem is, you don't get many goes at it. Fine if your car starts first go, not so much if it doesn't. You also have the issue of self discharge. A battery holds a whole lot more power (watts) than the capacitor bank. The ultra-capacitors you are probably talking about are designed to be an assistant to a smaller battery.

Can you post a link to the particular unit?

Could you offer a website that verifies this?
I purchased 6 of these caps from a Chinese supplier and charged them to 14.5 v in series,
not only won't they start car, they won't even turn engine over once.
Recharged again, they don't even have enough specific power to lower car window 1/2 inch without dying.
I'd like to send a website to the supplier as they claim they are not defective.

You'll need to link to the capacitors in question first :)

Could you offer a website that verifies this?
I purchased 6 of these caps from a Chinese supplier and charged them to 14.5 v in series,
not only won't they start car, they won't even turn engine over once.
Recharged again, they don't even have enough specific power to lower car window 1/2 inch without dying.
I'd like to send a website to the supplier as they claim they are not defective.
If you don't mind my asking what did you pay?

I thought I was saving money buying them from where they are made in China for $30 a piece, free shipping included.
I should have taken my first purchase out of China to heart., That time it was PV panels but fortunately purchased
through eBay and when they were never delivered, my money was quickly refunded.

I have Maxwell caps, no issue with actual Maxwell, but I didn't try to start a car.
The issue is they knock-off Maxwell, and those are just crap in a tube.

Not enough charge density even in Ultra caps to serve as a battery in my opinion.
It takes WAY too many & they are too expensive for solar... I found out the hard way.

I watched a YouTube video about these super-caps (ElectroBoom? Maybe BigClive?) and whomever it was took a few to bits - no electrolyte! Basically they just contained the coils of film/paper. He filled them up with something, don't remember what, and they then worked just fine.

It was BigCliveDotCom, and the caps he was talking about were fakes. Completely bizarre fakes at that.

Normally they either put empty cans in, or fully produced caps that are just duds or massively under rated in oversized cans, but the ones he found were massively underrated actual capacitors that no electrolyte added. Seems like a lot of effort to go to for something that would normally just be an empty can, but who can tell what goes on in China. Maybe a factory that made the underrated fakes had a production failure and produced caps that were even worse than they could stomach.

Back