diy solar

diy solar

Maxxair fan wiring!

Eileen

Hello, just a quick question! What size wire should be used to wire a Maxxair fan to the fuse box? Also how am I to determine wire sizes in the future? Thanks!!

There is something wonky about the solar hours calculator in link 5.

Flat surface outperforms both Optimal Year Round, and Adjusted Throughout the Year options. At least for the summer months in Phoenix, AZ.

A flat panel in summer has about 10° angle to the sun (10° more north). A panel at a 33° optimal tilt has a 23° angle to the sun, i.e., it's tilted farther South than the sun is overhead, so it makes complete sense that an optimal year-round positioning is lower because it sacrifices summer production for winter production and optimizes for Spring/Fall production.

There's also an east/west component that's not intuitive. The sun does not track a path perfectly from due east to due west except on the equinoxes. The flat panel loses NONE to this phenomena vs. panels that have any tilt at all. So a plat panel with a small north/south deviation from ideal will produce comparable to a panel that's optimally adjusted once a month. See https://www.solarpaneltilt.com/ "Why does this work?" paragraph.

Altitude also plays a small roll.

The only months in question for me are May and July. I can't see a reason why the flat panel would perform better than adjusted monthly.

Yah, me either. Flat outperformed Optimal angle for summer, in the summer.

Makes me wonder why I have been spending time designing a tilting panel mount for my van.

Glutton for punishment? Probably worth it on some level.

I meant to place my container a little bit east of South as there is a tendency to have notable clouds in the afternoon (East of Show Low), so I figured I'd try to favor the morning sun. Well, between a small error in my measurement, and a LARGE error by the folks that prepped the site and placedthe container, my container is facing about 22° East of South.

I was pissed.

I went into PVWatts, and compared the two headings... I lost just over 0.4% annually.

I felt much better.

From my research, in a context of a Van build, a 16 AWG wire protected by a 10 amp fuse.

Back