diy solar

diy solar

Maybe a dumb question but I will ask it anyway!

Al Slitter

Trying to learn something new every day!
To future proof an 12 volt system using 4 Lithium Ion cells can one purchase a Daly S8 BMS and connect only 4 of the leads to the positive posts of the cells?
Just trying to understand the basis of balancing cells.

To future proof an 12 volt system using 4 Lithium Ion cells can one purchase a Daly S8 BMS and connect only 4 of the leads to the positive posts of the cells?
Depends on the BMS. Some can regulate any voltage used, but most are specific voltage.
daly makes a lot of BMS, some may be adaptable, or programmable...

I understand from your other thread that funds are tight, but refactoring a system for a different voltage (12v to 24v) is quite expensive, not just for the batteries.

An "upgrade" to get more Ah is to add more cells and switch from 4s to 2p4s. The downside of this is that the older cells have aged and there will be differences between the old and new cells. Further, the cells you buy today may not be the cells that are available tomorrow. The EVE 280Ah cells that I bought last summer have become scarce. If I were to add more cells, the cost effective option may be 272Ah or 310Ah.

There are ways to create a system in steps, but it's not easy. You can put in way more solar than your current batteries need. Then upgrade the batteries later.

Thank You very true.
For me this whole process is a learning project.

My question still remains can one use a Daly 8S 24Volt BMS on a 12 Volt 4S system???

Thank You very true.
For me this whole process is a learning project.

My question still remains can one use a Daly 8S 24Volt BMS on a 12 Volt 4S system???

The simple answer is, "No, because a 24v BMS won't work on a 12v battery." There are some BMS that are rated like 15s-24s, which means (to me) that they can be used on a battery with different numbers of cells. Since this one does not have that designation, it is expecting to be used on exactly 8 cells. But I could be wrong on this part.

It makes sence to me that you are in fact correct.
The issue to my mind is not the connection points but rather the voltage or so I believe.
Thanks for your input.

Back