diy solar

diy solar

MC4 connectors

RipK

looking for advice regarding connecting solar panels on the roof and whether the MC4 connectors are UV rated. My panels are separated by about two feet, close enough to connect the wires from each panel but too far for the connectors to be under either panel. Is it ok for them to be out in the open or should I get short extension cables?

They should be rated for it. But I would use extention cables. and place them in conduit, between the panels.

I have had exposed MC4 connectors for three years with no issues, but this is a concern for me. Not so much for me to cover them. I am up on the roof four times a year inspecting the RV.

If this is a concern, you can use UV resistant split wire loom of a decent size and zip tie it on to make it more secure, but I doubt it would come off without zipties. I have also used braided wire loom.

Honestly, the accepted method that would last for years would be the conduit as @timselectric stated.

Last edited:
There are mc4s exposed on my roof , they have been up there since 2010~ , out in the weather 13/14yrs no issues

Back