diy solar

diy solar

MC4 Alternatives

brorob

Hello. Can anyone recommend a better and more durable connector than MC4? I would like to replace the MC4 connectors on my panels and cables with something that is more reliable and durable. I am traveling full time and need to disconnect my panels and extension cables frequently. Even though I am as careful as possible when connecting/disconnecting and place the connectors in the shade whenever possible, they are not durable. I've had to replace multiple connectors due to them cracking, tabs breaking, etc. It also doesn't seem like the connection with the contacts is the best. I had my 2 to 1 Y branch connectors replaced recently and even both of those are cracking and the connections are being finicky. I have two 200 watt panels and am using 10 gauge wires, max length at any time is 50 feet but typically 20 feet. Thanks for any recommendations!

MC4 connectors are only rated for 100 mating cycles.

While there are better quality options available for simplicity I would consider making up a couple of mc4 to SAE 2-pole adapters and attach those to the panels. Then use a SAE y adapter and additional connector(s) to complete the cable run. Use the SAE connectors to set up and break down your system. You can get the SAE connectors in up to 8 gauge wire if you search a bit.

Back