diy solar

diy solar

MC4 extension cables

saggys

In the past I have always hardwired my older panels with liquid tite and individual single wires to the panels. Now I am going to try and join this century and use MC4 cables with my new panels.

Is there a MC4 extension cable made with the correct (+ - ) connectors on one end (2 conductors encompassed in one cable) with no connectors on one end that I can use with a cord grip to enter my combiner box?

I have done some searching with no results yet. Is this something I am going to have to make if I want the plus and minus in one cord so I can use a cord grip at the combiner?

I made a couple of extension cables using the leftover MC4 connectors and wire I already had. However you can find extension cables on Amazon. Also at NAZ:
You may have to modify the pre-made cables to suit your needs.

51jgETaww-L.jpg

You could just buy an mc4 extension, cut it in half and strip the bare ends . You'll need one double the length of the planned cable run cause you're running pos and neg

But I normally buy a roll of 4mm solar cable & mc4 connectors and make up what I need , cut /crimp ect. it's not too much work

I've bought MC3 or MC4 extension cables and cut them in half.

Be aware that "MC4" connectors are not necessarily compatible. Many have failed, can cause fires.
Only mated pairs of same brand/model, or mismatched pairs that were tested and UL listed together, can be trusted.
That likely means determine what model is used on your PV panels, buy those same connectors, make your own cables.

Last edited:

I have done some searching with no results yet. Is this something I am going to have to make if I want the plus and minus in one cord so I can use a cord grip at the combiner?
Typical solar wires (pos and neg) do not come together in one cord like you find in other wire arrangments such as extension cords, or Romex, UF and such.

Got it, no two conductor cables, individuals only. Thanks guys I think I got it from here. Good tip on cable connector compatibility.

Back