diy solar

diy solar

MC4 only goes to 8AWG

kunstmilch

OK...
My "charge controller" is the RedArc Manager30 1230
My Panels are 195W 12V EcoWorthy (2)
I am curious about AWG and how it is handled, now, the panels have 12AWG coming from the junction box pre-installed. The Manager30 can only handle up to 6AWG wiring. I would much prefer to go with the best and thickest wire, Ancor doesn't make a UL 4703 wire, Temco doesn't make a tinned wire, now AWCWire does, and I recently bought another wire that's 10AWG UL 4703 as well for testing, as well as Staubli MC4 connectors and branches. Though not the UL crimpers.

The MC4 connectors usually only really go with 12/10 AWG but can be found with 8, however, I can't find sub $300 crimpers for 8 AWG MC4. If I was going to blow that money I'd rather put it in thicker wire. But that means no MC4 connections, what am I missing here?

If I get 6AWG Temco or AWCwire and run it straight from the panels J box to the Manager30 this could work fine, but then no MC4 easy disconnect.

Not interested in cheaping out, thoughts?

I know the crimps that go with the MC4 connectors I got and crimper off amazon are sh*t. Well the crimpers are fine but the connectors are garbage. I'm useing 10awg and the connectors have so much extra girth that they really dont want to crimp correctly.

I am running my panels 2S ~18 amps in 10awg which works nicely with my midnite solar combiner box were they parallel together and a 6awg runs to the house.

combiner.jpg

Back