diy solar

diy solar

MC4 scam buster - what you have all been waiting for

Just when you thought your day couldnt get any worse (Im not referring to the Dem POTUS in waiting guys) herewith pix of Mk ll to make your day (Warning could elevate your oil pressure). See how the cone seat flares the wire cores ready for compression.
This is an an 3/16" oil pipe flared coupling from your local auto shop. (more work needed) but it <1$. I daresay you could load it with Si grease and cover it in heat shrink. Just the thing for OG Preppers . Whats not to like. Good for 50A? Armchairs, you may now sh*t on me from a dizzy height. Mk lll in preparation but you can have too much excitement in one day. :fp2

Attachments

• image_2024-07-22_203803168.png
    image_2024-07-22_203803168.png
    293.6 KB · Views: 3
  • image_2024-07-22_203854554.png
    image_2024-07-22_203854554.png
    284.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image_2024-07-22_204114869.png
    image_2024-07-22_204114869.png
    219.7 KB · Views: 2
Yep you mean this below , have you seen all the Cheap Charlie shite on Ebay, no danger of finding the genuine article. BTW, assume you dont mean those "solder ring type" which you use a hot air gun to solder the splice together. Some very iffy results reported by this dodgy kit - you cant see if the solder has wetted properly and we know how soldering sometimes doesnt work properly.
Ive got some of those butt splice ferrules from a reputable source - thick wall centre wire stop etc. Trouble is that you need a hydraulic crimp tool to get full force (16t) and the precision anvil. A professional kit with purpose made ferrules is ca $500 - but it is Mil Spec quality.

I think you will find that a hand crimped butt splice connector works fine without 16 tons of pressure applied. I’d be curious what your testing reveals in terms of resistance.

Not sure what you are on about with the solder ring stuff.

Just when you thought your day couldnt get any worse (Im not referring to the Dem POTUS in waiting guys) herewith pix of Mk ll to make your day (Warning could elevate your oil pressure). See how the cone seat flares the wire cores ready for compression.
This is an an 3/16" oil pipe flared coupling from your local auto shop. (more work needed) but it <1$. I daresay you could load it with Si grease and cover it in heat shrink. Just the thing for OG Preppers . Whats not to like. Good for 50A? Armchairs, you may now sh*t on me from a dizzy height. Mk lll in preparation but you can have too much excitement in one day. :fp2
Are you just trolling now or did you intend to post this thread in the danger zone?

Are you just trolling now or did you intend to post this thread in the danger zone?
This is a classic example of what happened to people over indulge themselves on MSG Rich Foods:
Brain Damage :fp2 :fp2

Anyone care to donate a Harbor Freight multimeter to the mad scientist here
PS make sure to include good batteries :ROFLMAO:

Don't want to make a bad situation any worse

Plus does this table not sum up the reason why we're not using brass to make our electrical connections:fp2:fp2:fp2
image_2024-07-21_202605172.png

Last edited:
Are you just trolling now
A vain hope it might inspire some surgical thought to mechanically connecting high current electrical wires rather than using mickey mouse sliding pin and socket methods which is copied and spread around the market by Cheap Charlie (as the many YT vids can show). Spare a thought for the hapless consumer who has an installation fitted up with the fake MC4s. Arc faults may take some time to show up - and then a roof fire gets going - what do you do then?
The flared coupling is a very traditional reliable method used in hydraulics, long before compression fittings. Why not use it to connect solar cables? The design may need some fettling but still follow the KISS principle.

What I like is that it is so simple and basic that Cheap Charlie wont bother to make fakes. So WYSIWYG

Mk l is also in the same mould but I am making up Mk 1.1 that is even more attractive for blowing away the Armchairs.
Plus does this table not sum up the reason why we're not using brass to make our electrical connections:fp2:fp2:fp2
You are just not on message, pay attention! Brass has a rho of ca 3.5x Copper. We all know that. You just make the conductive path thicker. Brass has been used for over a century in switchgear. Its mechanical properties make it much more suitable for mass production and the bulk material is also much cheaper (compare a copper busbar to a brass one)

A vain hope it might inspire some surgical thought to mechanically connecting high current electrical wires rather than using mickey mouse sliding pin and socket methods which is copied and spread around the market by Cheap Charlie (as the many YT vids can show). Spare a thought for the hapless consumer who has an installation fitted up with the fake MC4s. Arc faults may take some time to show up - and then a roof fire gets going - what do you do then?
The flared coupling is a very traditional reliable method used in hydraulics, long before compression fittings. Why not use it to connect solar cables? The design may need some fettling but still follow the KISS principle.

What I like is that it is so simple and basic that Cheap Charlie wont bother to make fakes. So WYSIWYG

Mk l is also in the same mould but I am making up Mk 1.1 that is even more attractive for blowing away the Armchairs.

You are just not on message, pay attention! Brass has a rho of ca 3.5x Copper. We all know that. You just make the conductive path thicker. Brass has been used for over a century in switchgear. Its mechanical properties make it much more suitable for mass production and the bulk material is also much cheaper (compare a copper busbar to a brass one)
Your preach-n to the choir i've been making reliable electrical connections longer and you've been drawing air

Consequently all this preach-n is preventing you from learning anything

Get some reliable test equipment, do some research and back your BS up with data instead of just speculation

no puns intended

Last edited:

I give up.
Go work on upgrading all the wall sockets in your house that have been using sliding connectors, while you're at it reinvent all the fuse and relay connections in your vehicle, don't forget the cigarette lighter.

Edit - you're not your.

Last edited:
Or folks could spend a few buks each and get the real deal stabuli connectors or other quality ones and not worry about it for 20 years. This is instead of the knock-offs that are sold by the dozen.

Go back to your garage and sing this song until your head explodes, then start again.

That's just great.

I had The Kinks: Lola song stuck in my head for 4 days now this :poop::poop::poop::poop: Thanks a lot! :LOL:🤪🤣

I give up.
Go work on upgrading all the wall sockets in your house that have been using sliding connectors, while your at it reinvent all the fuse and relay connections in your vehicle, don't forget the cigarette lighter.
Careful don't give any ideas

Most likely hanging out in his moms basement in titty-whities and a wife beater eating Cheetos :LOL::ROFLMAO::fp2

Assuming what he lists in his signature line is true - he is an adult, retired EE, trying to re-invent/invent something that would be of real benefit to the community.

If he wants to be taken seriously he should treat others with the respect due strangers verse being rude in just about every post. He should also obtain samples of the various MC4 connector types and some test equipment along with a power source to let him understand if there really is a problem with the MC4 or if he is just trying to find a solution without a problem. Also from his sig line he has no fixed install on house

Here is the equipment list from the sig line - seems more like a machinest workshop or a gear head than a EE workshop - wish I had the mill and lathe -
  • Rigol DSO: A digital storage oscilloscope (DSO) from Rigol, used to observe the varying signal voltages in electronic devices.
  • Keysight 6.5 Digit DVM: A high-precision digital voltmeter (DVM) from Keysight, capable of measuring voltage with 6.5-digit resolution.
  • Bench PSU: A bench power supply unit, providing adjustable and stable DC power for testing and prototyping electronic circuits.
  • Pico 16-bit 8-channel Data Logger: A data logger from Pico Technology with 16-bit resolution and 8 channels, used for recording and analyzing electrical signals over time.
  • ZKE Battery Tester: A device for testing and analyzing the performance and capacity of various types of batteries.
  • 100A DC 24V Test Water Barrel: A setup using immersion heaters to test electrical components under a load of 100A at 24V DC, with a one-hour operation limit.
  • IR Camera Gun Topdon 256x192: An infrared (IR) thermal imaging camera from Topdon with a resolution of 256x192 pixels, used for detecting heat patterns in electronic components.
  • ML7 Lathe: A small precision lathe, used for machining metal parts in your workshop.
  • Vertical Mill: A milling machine with a vertically oriented spindle, used for cutting and shaping metal and other materials.
  • DC 150A Welder: A direct current (DC) welder capable of delivering up to 150 amps, used for joining metal pieces together.
  • Other Workshop Tools: A variety of typical tools found in a machine shop, such as wrenches, screwdrivers, drills, and saws, used for various fabrication and repair tasks.

So, kidding aside he might be one of those guys that is brilliant and just looking for a chance to invent something in his retirement that will set him for life. He could be totally full of it and living in Mom's basement.

In any case he irritates me and I suspect a bunch of the rest of you with his attitude that comes off holier-than-thou and stuck up. I suppose he doesn't realize there are a number of working EE and a lot more electricians on the board that are as smart or smarter than he is. The jury is out still, but I would bet on the other folks here.

I worked with a so called lineman once many years ago that was found to have forged his signature on a copy of his father's lineman's ticket. 😱

Though this did not come as much of a surprise to me judging by his work ethics.

Bottom line is bull💩 dries up and turns the dust if the Sun shines on it long enough and even faster when you spread it out.

So if you want to preserve your bull💩 keep it cool and keep it together.🤫

Wow this is terrible advice .
Somebody really needs to shut this 💩💩 thread down

diy solar

diy solar
Back