diy solar

diy solar

Measuring the dwelling consumption...

Externet

Greetings.
My house has the plain standard circuitry

InverterOUT------------SafetyDisconnect------------30Abreaker-----------AllHouseLoadsHere-----------MainBreaker--------------EnergyMeter-------------UtilityPole

The 30A feedback breaker protects the wiring between the main panel load rails to the inverter.
The inverter display tells the generation fed to dwelling plus utility.
The utility energy meter counts the house consumption minus what was delivered to the utility. Or; the energy delivered to the utility minus what the dwelling consumed.

If I want to know the energy consumed by the dwelling alone; do I rewire and insert an energy meter plus added main breaker as in the sketch and move the feedback circuit breaker next to the utility meter ?
1682786809352.png

Or how is it done ?

Any split phase "added energy meter" in the market for a less than 100A loads that you may suggest ? Ebay is fine.

Attachments

• 1682785880136.png
    1682785880136.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
That diagram should work to measure power going into the breaker panel. It will not matter if the power is from the grid or the inverter. Also when there is export the power will go to that panel and cover the loads on that panel before being exported to the grid. You should be able to reconcile the numbers from your inverter and that meter. Some inverters like Enphase and Solaredge offer consumption CTs that will do that and report everything on one screen. I assume this is a GT inverter and not a hybrid? A hybrid would have a separate AC In port.

Last edited:
Yes rewiring it the way you have shown will display only what the house is consuming via that added Energy Meter.

Thanks. Hmmm.... In doubt from its description if that one counts energy. Confused me, perhaps only counts power. The sure thing is I do not want the web involved.

Thanks. Hmmm.... In doubt from its description if that one counts energy. Confused me, perhaps only counts power. The sure thing is I do not want the web involved.
I also use IotaWatt and it's accessible over your local network. The "web" is still involved since it has its own built-in web server but it does not use the internet. All your data stays local and you do not need internet to use it.

Back