diy solar

diy solar

Megarevo RxLNA Discussion

Your numbers are exactly same as mine. 435w Sun Power? ISC is Short circuit and your not shorting the wires out. But is used to define if you need your home run protected or not from my understanding.

This type of stuff is above my pay grade, but does this indicate that it might be possible to monitor the Megarevo with PC over the RS435? I was just looking at the picture on page 6 of the Goodwe document. Solarman is a bit lacking.
@jsmetalcraft - you'll need to find a circular 4-pin adapter to plug into the slot where the Solarman (IGEN) stick-logger goes. Circular Connector: Pin 1 = Positive 5 Volts, Pin 2 = Ground, Pin 3 = RS485+, Pin 4 = RS485-. For the life of me, I can't find out what the spec of the adapter is to order one. You can then just use a Raspberry Pi or similar with the Waveshare RS485<->Ethernet adapter and pymodbus to hoover up all metrics from the Megarevo. Some folks have done some pretty neat graphing of the metrics.

@jsmetalcraft - you'll need to find a circular 4-pin adapter to plug into the slot where the Solarman (IGEN) stick-logger goes. Circular Connector: Pin 1 = Positive 5 Volts, Pin 2 = Ground, Pin 3 = RS485+, Pin 4 = RS485-. For the life of me, I can't find out what the spec of the adapter is to order one. You can then just use a Raspberry Pi or similar with the Waveshare RS485<->Ethernet adapter and pymodbus to hoover up all metrics from the Megarevo. Some folks have done some pretty neat graphing of the metrics.
You can get the RS485 signal from the ethernet port I guess. Not sure if there is any suitable PC software.

Your numbers are exactly same as mine. 435w Sun Power? ISC is Short circuit and your not shorting the wires out. But is used to define if you need your home run protected or not from my understanding.
Yes. ;)
Are you running any of yours in two strings on one MPPT to utilize its capacity? What's your panel layout look like?

Yes. ;)
Are you running any of yours in two strings on one MPPT to utilize its capacity? What's your panel layout look like?
I am running 4s2p on each tracker. I am seeing 280-290 volts and should be just under 12 amps at max power.

Picture is of two arrays. I have one more up now that is pointing South West, and yet to build one pointing South East to fill all four trackers.
20220308_171236.jpg

Last edited:
Well I'm glad to see you're having success with 2p! I have a primary spot I can only fit 6-7 of these panels and ideally I'd like to save the other trackers. About the only way to do 6 or 7 panels on that one tracker would be to do 3s2p. That or just use 5 and do 5s. I'd like the voltage to be higher using only 3s2p, but it's doable if the inverter will tolerate these in 2p. On another tracker I'd like to do exactly what you're doing, either 4s2p or 5s2p.

I've been in contact with Huaya. Their 10k specs look amazing, but they want about $1200 over the price of this inverter... which is a big price jump over the Megarevo 8k. Although that Huayu 10k is likely higher quality, comes with a 10 year warranty, has a nice color display, has more capacity and is stackable allowing for future expansion, and basically solves all of my possible install issues. The limited online videos I've seen of it suggest it's much more sorted as well. Hopefully Megarego fixes the later concern with this pending pending firmware update. But again, the Huayu 10k is about $1200 more. For $700 more I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat, but $1200 is enough to make me more strongly consider just doing the Megarevo.

If you live in a cold climate 5s might be pushing it. 85.6 Voc adjusted to 4*F is 101 volts/panel. Also a 5s2p is over paneled. I think it's 3k/tracker. Book says support 12kw. I am 300 watts over based on the used panels at 95% of the 435 watt nominal rating. 10 panels would put you above 4k. Just my opinions and why I chose how I did with 4s2p.

Looking at the specifications of Huaya 10k, and comparing to the Megarevo, I don't think $1200 is unreasonable. It would fit your 5s needs and unless I misunderstand you can add a lot more panels with higher voltage and amperage.

Last edited:
If you live in a cold climate 5s might be pushing it. 85.6 Voc adjusted to 4*F is 101 volts/panel. Also a 5s2p is over paneled. I think it's 3k/tracker. Book says support 12kw. I am 300 watts over based on the used panels at 95% of the 435 watt nominal rating. 10 panels would put you above 4k. Just my opinions and why I chose how I did with 4s2p.

Looking at the specifications of Huaya 10k, and comparing to the Megarevo, I don't think $1200 is unreasonable. It would fit your 5s needs and unless I misunderstand you can add a lot more panels with higher voltage and amperage.
Unless I mis-entered the specs wrong, I got max Voc of 94V at 4F, or around 470V for 5. Still cutting kind of close either way, but if I'm right, it's still under max capacity. And yes well over 3k/tracker, but I guess I fail to completely understand how over paneling a tracker can cause harm if amperage is a measurement of flow and the inverter will just limit flow at 12A This might cause V to go up, but it can still only go up to max Voc, correct?

I just received GSL hybrid 8k version expecting it to look like the Deye inverter and software they show on Alibaba.com. Apparently it is not a Deye inverter but a copy that is made by GSL. It does not have the same screen/ software or instructions. I have attached the listing I placed though Alibaba.com so you can see the screen and software I was expecting. I also attached what I received. I am having issues understanding how to get this working. I have the grid and PV connected like it shows. I do not have any loads or batteries hooked up at the moment. I am trying to use it more like a grid tie for now. It shows PV in but gets a battery fault, and not showing any current output to the grid. I am not sure how to get to this work mode “self use 2a”. The only software options are: Self use, peak shaving, battery priority, nothing beyond those 3 options. Secondly this part of the manual where it says to connect the grid terminals to the gen terminals, doesn’t sound like a good idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated! If I can’t get this to work I am going to try to see if Alibaba.com trade assurance would refund it and hopefully not be out even more money.

Attachments

• GSL 48V Split Phase Hybrid Inverter User's Manual.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 48
  • 4D67E9AC-4B08-4E08-9A5B-1983416BBEA7.jpeg
    4D67E9AC-4B08-4E08-9A5B-1983416BBEA7.jpeg
    431.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 0858EAC4-DD21-4E11-A1B4-ADFBFC1AF78D.jpeg
    0858EAC4-DD21-4E11-A1B4-ADFBFC1AF78D.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 1673E0D9-97B4-486D-AB5F-1A71AD649715.jpeg
    1673E0D9-97B4-486D-AB5F-1A71AD649715.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 73
  • EC0DA4AC-4B02-4BE4-B68C-50C57A9903DD.png
    EC0DA4AC-4B02-4BE4-B68C-50C57A9903DD.png
    778 KB · Views: 90
  • D113EA48-F363-49E3-A4AA-A65BDA0E496B.jpeg
    D113EA48-F363-49E3-A4AA-A65BDA0E496B.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 99
Unless I mis-entered the specs wrong, I got max Voc of 94V at 4F, or around 470V for 5. Still cutting kind of close either way, but if I'm right, it's still under max capacity. And yes well over 3k/tracker, but I guess I fail to completely understand how over paneling a tracker can cause harm if amperage is a measurement of flow and the inverter will just limit flow at 12A This might cause V to go up, but it can still only go up to max Voc, correct?
This is going to be a solar newbie question. I have a design question about total voltage and amperage. The Megarevo is 12kW total across the four trackers, 500V and 12A total DC input. For the 4s2p setup of @jsmetalcraft with SunPower 435W panels - it's approx 290V and 11.94A for that setup (3.5kW). However, he has two 4s2p (from the picture) which would be 580V total (>500V) and and 11.94A each - how do you continue to add in more panels on other trackers and not go over the limit?

This is going to be a solar newbie question. I have a design question about total voltage and amperage. The Megarevo is 12kW total across the four trackers, 500V and 12A total DC input. For the 4s2p setup of @jsmetalcraft with SunPower 435W panels - it's approx 290V and 11.94A for that setup (3.5kW). However, he has two 4s2p (from the picture) which would be 580V total (>500V) and and 11.94A each - how do you continue to add in more panels on other trackers and not go over the limit?
I read it as each input of the 4 PV inputs is able to take 500v and 12a. With the total wattage across all inputs as 12000 watts.

I read it as each input of the 4 PV inputs is able to take 500v and 12a. With the total wattage across all inputs as 12000 watts.
That's how I read it as well, but this could be another potential Chinglish to English misunderstanding. It could certainty use some clarification on their part as 500V @ 12A is 6000W... x4 is 24kW, twice the 12kW max they also mention.

In my case, I would have panels facing both SSE and WSW, so I don't think it would be too much of an issue concerning the total for all trackers, but I could potentially hit close to 5kW on one or more trackers at a time. But again, some clarity before someone potentially fries something would be nice!

My understanding is also 500v @12 amp on each tracker. I question the 12kw max in that it could read that that is all that the inverter can consume. But 190 amps at 52 volts plus the 7600 watts of inverted power is 17480 watts in simple terms when running everything at max.

My understanding is also 500v @12 amp on each tracker. I question the 12kw max in that it could read that that is all that the inverter can consume. But 190 amps at 52 volts plus the 7600 watts of inverted power is 17480 watts in simple terms when running everything at max.
So in in SolArk rating terms, they would name this a 17.5k? :oops: :ROFLMAO:

Has anyone that runs this inverter non grid connected, tried running L1 and L2 unbalanced to see if it turns off like a Deye/Sol-ark?

Has anyone that runs this inverter non grid connected, tried running L1 and L2 unbalanced to see if it turns off like a Deye/Sol-ark?
In theory, being a HF inverter, it should behave the same since there's no internal/external autotransformer.

I knew the Deyes had something programmed to shut it down at a certain point. I have not seen many other brands that do that.

I knew the Deyes had something programmed to shut it down at a certain point. I have not seen many other brands that do that.
As I understand it, I would think all the HF inverters would have some protection built into them to protect the MOSFET's when severally out of balance under heavy load. It's just a matter of where they set the bar. But I could be completely misinformed.

I found this to confirm: It does say "Max.Input current of single MPPT(A)" so our thoughts appear to be correct. Each input is able to have up to 500vDC and 12a.

Attachments

• R8KLNA specs.pdf
    215.6 KB · Views: 36
More information about batteries that are compatible with Megarevo.

High Voltage The main matching brand Communication
1 Pylonetc CAN
2 Dyness CAN
3 westwoods CAN

Low Voltage The main matching brand Communication
1 Pylonetch CAN
2 Dyness CAN
3 westwoods CAN
4 DLG CAN
5 Aoboet CAN
6 UZ CAN
7 Ritar CAN
I wanted to inform everyone, I heard back from Jakiper batteries. They use pylon CAN communication. It should be able to communicate with their batteries.

Attachments

• Catch4047.jpg
    Catch4047.jpg
    530.5 KB · Views: 24
Starting work on decoding the communications between the Solarman stick-logger and the Megarevo. Not going quite as smoothly as I'd hoped, but some pieces are coming together.

I pulled apart the stick-logger and attached the circular adapter connectors to a breadboard and injected a Waveshare RS485 <-> Ethernet connector into the mix. I've tried having a Modbus conversation with the device, per the Goodwe spec mentioned earlier in this thread - but I've obviously got something configured incorrectly. What's giving me a little bit of hope is the fact that in one of the returned bytestreams the inverter serial number appeared.

0x46 0x30 0x31 0x32 0x31 0x41 0x30 0x31 0x32 0x31 0x35 0x36 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0

F 0 1 2 1 A 0 1 2 1 5 6

I've also found the firmware version and 8K as a string.

There are a bunch of attached pictures of the components of the stick-logger + the unit plugging into the inverter once disassembled.

More details to come...

Attachments

• IMG_3467.jpg
    IMG_3467.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_3468.jpg
    IMG_3468.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3469.jpg
    IMG_3469.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3470.jpg